BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 318d yesterday, it is only 14 months old and has only 11,000 miles - the gear box was very very shakey at idle - is this normal for this car or is it a real problem?

·
Black Squared
421 Posts
I test drove a 318d yesterday, it is only 14 months old and has only 11,000 miles - the gear box was very very shakey at idle - is this normal for this car or is it a real problem?
4 cylinder engines make a power pulse every 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation. The pulse lasts about 45-60 degrees of crankshaft rotation. This means there is 30-45 degrees of crankshaft rotation where no power is applied so it slows down right when it has to compress the next cylinder's charge.

The above is why 6 and 8 cylinder engines are smoother as they have power 'left' to compress the next cylinder's charge.

As long as the engine was running correctly, it is 'normal' to have some pretty severe vibration at idle in a 4 cylinder diesel...which is why I don't drive one!

Brian

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
We need an Smilie holding a sign that says:

"SHOULD HAVE GOT A 335I"

as a summary answer to any time someone doesn't like something about their car.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
If it's very shaky, something's not right. I've briefly driven a 118d and there's no unusual vibration from that car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brian - the answer then is dont buy it - I will go for a 320d instead then - I have driven one of those already and the gear stick didnt move at all, cheers, Colin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts