BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I've been troubleshooting my car and I don't know why it keeps happening. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I pick up quickly on topics.

• Full transmission rebuild (automatic 1995 E36 318ic)
  • new cables
  • new plugs
  • valve cover gasket replaced (was leaking out and around plug boot #2)
  • new tires

On acceleration, once every week or so, which was more frequent before the above service, the engine bounces/vibrates < 1 second. Before, episodes were worse, with high revving/vibrating for about two seconds, but it's reduced now.

I have absolutely no clue what to look at, but the last thing I'm considering is the coil pack.

Anybody have any insight as to what this could be? It is not constant and I cannot replicate it. It happens when it wants and it's not clear what could be happening.

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Two days ago I was pulling away from a stop sign, more acceleration than usual to get the turn completed before a car was in proximity. The revs went high and it was not moving very much, then something in the drive train reconnected and rear wheels squealed.

Can a differential behave this way? I am thinking it's always engaged, so this is strange behaviour.

Cheers

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,556 Posts
Can't guess why the engine was/is going up and down with the revs, but your momentary loss of acceleration while cornering really sounds like the transmission fluid is low. Side load uncovers the fluid pickup for a second, then it picks up fluid and slams power through the drivetrain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK that's the second opinion (just saw that the other one was you as well) that backs up the idea it's the transmission. I'm not versed in these things, and only recently have I been reading up on this stuff. Thanks for your input.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts