BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just got a 2014 528ix. I was setting up her phone for her. The dealer and many people have told her see could view her incoming txt on her Main Screen and Heads up Display while driving. So far I have not been able to make that happen. Using a Bluetooth setup she can receive calls, Stream Music and Receive txt that show up as a little envelope on the main screen.
There is the problem. 1st its a small envelope on the top right part of the screen which is hard to pick up while driving and It doesn't show in the Heads up display. Once you do see it you need to navigate the Idrive to office then messages then read it or have it play the message for you. She was given the impression that the txt as received would just show up on the screen and on the Heads up without manually needing to fool with the IDrive. Is this wrong or am i missing something in the setup/config.

Thanks for the help and clarification

-Lou

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just press the voice command and say "Messages". It will show the message in Idrive but never show in HUD. To read out the message, just push down the controller once and press once. For 2014 F10, you can also press down voice command and activate SIRI to read the messages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You

Thank You, I will have her give that a try. We just bought the snap-in for her phone.
The dealer said it would make things work much smoother. Ehh. Jury still out. Its only been a day. Not so sure yet.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thank You, I will have her give that a try. We just bought the snap-in for her phone.
The dealer said it would make things work much smoother. Ehh. Jury still out. Its only been a day. Not so sure yet.
Sorry, but he lied. Snap in doesn't really help at all. I got one and am disappointed. Doesn't really help cell reception. On top of that, when I want to stream audio from my iPhone from apps like mlb the snap in can't accommodate that functionality and always defaults it back to the saved music, however it works fine over BT.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,500 Posts
Sorry, but he lied. Snap in doesn't really help at all. I got one and am disappointed. Doesn't really help cell reception. On top of that, when I want to stream audio from my iPhone from apps like mlb the snap in can't accommodate that functionality and always defaults it back to the saved music, however it works fine over BT.
My snap-in will play music from my iPhone -- but I do think it is over BT. But I also notice much better phone reception with the snap in, so our experiences differ there. I like the snap-in for safety reasons. When the phone is bedded down in the center console, it is too much of a pain to take it out and look at it, so I don't. It removes the temptation. When I hear a tone for new email, I will have Siri read the mail to me, which is also safer than having it displayed on a screen to read. I got a snap in for my E61 too (no fancy media snap-in there) for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Mine will play music from the iPhone, but only the loaded/saved music. When you try to play from an app, it plays for a second then reverts back to the loaded songs. Others have spoke of the same issues. Just wasn't worth the $200 IMO.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I usually just hold down the button on the steering wheel until it activates Siri then tell her to read out my text messages over the speakers of the car. I respond to text messages the same way.

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.