BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luf. Air is telling me that they need VIN # before I can purchase tickets??? All I got is production number now.

I am not in hurry to purchase the tickets but my return date is sold out!! I have to delay 1 day (with 2 spots left) on the next day fly out of Paris...Reservation hold is only for 72 hours.

I thought I am ahead of the game by reserving the seats two months ahead....:mad:
I was able to find seats on their web site ...

Any advice? Will situation get better as time gets closer to D-day (9/25 for me)?

·
Registered
53 Posts
last time i checked (in january), you can make reservations without a VIN number, but they'll require it when ticketing later, like a month before your departure date...

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
So here is the skinny. You can make a reservation without the VIN, but the VIN is needed to buy the tickets. The dumb thing is that they'll only hold the reservation for three days without a credit card. Give them a credit card number and the fare is locked. Technically, you can cancel any time up to when you are ticketed. But for some reason, Lufthansa officially frowns upon this practice. Ticketing happens when you get the VIN and it is up to you to call LH to buy the ticket.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get it...give them cc# to hold fare....Thanks,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Shop around, I just called Lufthansa to get a price for my Oct. ED. They wanted $1215 for the first ticket and $219 for taxes on the second. The prices I've seen on the web are about $650 - $750/person. If you are arriving and leaving from the same city, you may be able to get a better deal, and have both passengers get frequent flier miles

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree, shop around, you will probably find fares on better airlines that may be more to your liking...

Plus you will both get FF miles,which add up to a lot on an international flight...

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
Keep in mind that the benefit of the 2 for 1 is that you don't have to buy tickets until you are closer to the departure date. Also, if you are flying LH, you get more miles via the Q fare. The discount fares seen on sites like Travelocity or even Lufthansa's own site are not Q class.

I remember the free ride getting miles, but I could be wrong. The general strategy is to reserve seats for the LH deal and have that as the safety to fall back on. Keep looking for a better fare on the web. If you find something really good, then go with it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good suggestions...

Companion does not get miles on LH....

·
---------
460 Posts
xspeedy said:
Keep in mind that the benefit of the 2 for 1 is that you don't have to buy tickets until you are closer to the departure date. Also, if you are flying LH, you get more miles via the Q fare. The discount fares seen on sites like Travelocity or even Lufthansa's own site are not Q class.

I remember the free ride getting miles, but I could be wrong. The general strategy is to reserve seats for the LH deal and have that as the safety to fall back on. Keep looking for a better fare on the web. If you find something really good, then go with it.
I didn't know you were getting more miles on the Q fare. I didn't get any extra ones...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XSpeedy,

As you said, VIN# is not required for reservation but CC is needed to hold reservation beyond 72 hours. I was able to confirm my return flight and with lower price...(more $ is spend in Europe).

For reference, I will be paying $1472 for two... The best deal I got so far from travelocity and expedia is $1776....

Thanks,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Plus, Lufthansa provides drinks for free in coach. :drink: I may have to fly them more often...

·
Registered
374 Posts
epoints said:
XSpeedy,

For reference, I will be paying $1472 for two... The best deal I got so far from travelocity and expedia is $1776....

Thanks,
Is the fare in September less expensive than in October? I called LH yesterday and was quoted $1,664 for two (10/18~10/29).

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
Contact Patch said:
Is the fare in September less expensive than in October? I called LH yesterday and was quoted $1,664 for two (10/18~10/29).
I would imagine it is more. There should be some "fall" sales that reduce fares some. I have some bookings on LH (total of $1500), but I'm waiting for them to drop. Seems high for October.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great information guys, thanks.

I got my production number and a ED pick up date of Tuesday, October 10th for a e90 335i.

The deal with the 2 for 1, giving them a CC and ticketed only when a vin is provided is exactly the way my purchase was handled. Ask for Angelica at 888 552 4508. She is very helpful and will look for all other special fares from competing airlines to save you quite a bit of time.

There is a designated travel agency that can handle the ticketing besides Lufthansa but I didn't care for the rep.

You can get your miles on a United or a US Airways card as well as Lufthansa.

Any idea on the timing of the VIN information in relation to the delivery date?

Getting the VIN is also important for financial planning since the insurance premium on the 335i is going to be higher than the current 330i because of the additional horses according to USAA.

Shawn
Phoenix

·
Registered
209 Posts
Since I just got my confirmation of Oct 6th today along with my production number., From what everyone is saying above I should reserve flights with a credit card now, but I don't actually have to pay for the flight and can cancel the reservation up until I get my VIN and actually pay for the tickets? Since I am getting a 328 sedan that would give me until early September to try and find a cheaper alternative as production does not start until early september. Am I correct in the above assumptions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
coppertone said:
Since I just got my confirmation of Oct 6th today along with my production number., From what everyone is saying above I should reserve flights with a credit card now, but I don't actually have to pay for the flight and can cancel the reservation up until I get my VIN and actually pay for the tickets? Since I am getting a 328 sedan that would give me until early September to try and find a cheaper alternative as production does not start until early september. Am I correct in the above assumptions.
\
Yes

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
+1

Luf would not know when the VIN is issued..It's up to you to notify them when you are ready to ticket.

Also, the price does seem to be lower in September probably due to Octkberfest promotion... It's not unusual for airline to lower the fare during national events to promote tourism...

Luf is also offering bonus miles for referral... http://www.miles-and-more.com/online/portal/mam/de/mymiles/member_gets_member?l=en&nodeid=1587795

xSpeedy, thanks for the help... if you are already a member, go to the link and send me a referral email...check your PM for my email address..

Hope others will do the same...

·
Registered
349 Posts
just as we all spend time looking for the best deals for our BMW's, take time looking for the plane tickets. The 2 for 1 deal is not on the lowest based fare, so it is often cheaper to buy sale tickets. I purchased tickets on orbits.com roundtrip JFK to MUC for $466 all taxes included for my 11/06 ED delivery.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, like many of you suggested, I plan to look for better deal.. now i have a back up...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think, based on you pick day, that you should be able to get a better deal on the tickets. I used to work for an airline at O'Hare airport, and I know that the highest ticket prices are usually in the summer season, between May and the end of August. You should get a nice price at the end of the Sept.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.