BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
What a teaser :rolleyes:

You know Vince is going to fo into convulsions waiting for you to share some more photos :eek:

·
10,856 Posts
We Americans are deprived. :(

·
Where am I?
963 Posts
Re: Re: Vince, look what I found

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
AlexB...

Are you teasing me huh? :confused: It's almost like showing me half of a butt that has a tatoo which says B3 S. C'mon! Yooohoo! :p

So, that B10 on the right? :angel:

BTW, the B stands for Bimmer. Just thought you should know. Keep it straight.

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, I just got my first BMW and I really wanted to learn the history.... What is an Alpina? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I'm sorry but it's hard for me to accept Alpina or ACS as auto "manufacturers". They take a BMW from the assembly line about 80% complete, hand assemble the engine (most of which with BMW parts), add their own springs, shocks, sways to the BMW suspension, add their own interior (for Alpina at least), brakes (in some cases), and wheels and stickers and/or an aero kit.

When 80% of the car is made by BMW I can't call someone else a "manufacturer".

IMHO
Haus

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
in_d_haus said:

I didn't use the "T" word...
:confused:

You wouldn't mean ........................

T uner

would you :dunno:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:tsk: :tsk:

@haus

why is it hard for you to believe that Alpina is a registered car manufacturer ?

There's much more work involved than you think. Suspension, engine, exhaust, interior and in some cases some changes on the body (for example the E36 B8 )

Let's think that you want to install a wood fence in your garden. You buy the material (wood) and install it.

Who would be the manufacturer of this fence ? You ? or the wood manufacturer ?

;)

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
atyclb said:

the wood manufacturer--seriously, that's what I'd say.

Haus would be the installer, not the manufacturer :eek:
BS. You are the manufacturer of the end product. You just buy the material.

Since BMW buying almost all the components from other companies (suspension, drivetrain etc. you name it) how come BMW is called the manufacturer then ?

No car manufacturer on earth is producing everything on its own. That means there's no car manufacturer in the world ? :tsk:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
atyclb said:

the wood manufacturer--seriously, that's what I'd say.

Haus would be the installer, not the manufacturer :eek:
I gotta agree with ATYCLB, I'd be the fence installer.

Alex B, Yes manufacturers do subcontract work but I think going into that as part of this discussion is a bit too general. I'm sure Alpina subcontracts too (do they raise cows and tan the leather?, Do they formulate and mix their own paint?)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.