BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an opportunity to ride in Sergio's car with the Stoptechs...Did they not fit at all underneath the Alpina? Those things were simply amazing. He did a couple of brake checks when we were falling asleep in the back seat (*ss. we were all dead tired at the end of the day, couldn't let us get a little shut-eye) and out of the three cars there his brake seems to exhibit the least amount of wear. Raffi's brake pads were glowing red after the last session and Andy (M3) was ashed over in white, but the Stoptech brakes were still asking for more abuse.

I remember you said you had gotten the brakes but the calipers wouldn't fit underneath the Alpina wheels?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Huh? Where did you guys go?:p

Well, Sergio helped setup the StopTECH groupbuy. Eventually I got in touch with Bob and Mike at StopTECH. Great pple to talk to.

And yes, they don't fit under Alpina wheels (at least for E46) cos the offsets are way too tight. So I gave up the idea of a big-brake upgrade and toss the idea of an Alpina brake upgrade in my mod-bowl.

I love StopTECH's innovative bridge design. Something which you don't see on Brembo. And of course their patented AeroRotors. :D

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
hmm...I wouldn't know the price of ACS brakes though.

Well, the Alpina brake kit I am referring to is, unfortunately, not the BLUE BREMBO kit you saw on a B10 V8S. I am referring to their stock brake kit fitted on B3 3.3. Apparently, the calipers are 2-pot and made specifically for Alpina by a company called LUCAS GIRLING.

Clem said:
No here's the REAL question Vince:

What's the price difference between AC Schitzer brakes and Alpina? :yikes: :yikes:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Lucas, of course, is notorious for making the ever-so-unreliable British electrics in 60s British cars.

I believe Girling was one of the first to mass-produce disc brakes for cars. I believe early racing Jaguars were fitted with Girling brakes, which finally convinced Enzo Ferrari that he needed to get his head out of his ass and finally switch from drum to disc.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Good one Kaz! :thumb:

Henceforth, I am seriously considering getting the calipers from Alpina. Costs like $300 each for the front. Need 330's discs though...

Kaz said:
Lucas, of course, is notorious for making the ever-so-unreliable British electrics in 60s British cars.

I believe Girling was one of the first to mass-produce disc brakes for cars. I believe early racing Jaguars were fitted with Girling brakes, which finally convinced Enzo Ferrari that he needed to get his head out of his ass and finally switch from drum to disc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts