Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience in using a high quality (ie. 3M) vinyl wrap to cover their front grilles? I wanted to keep the glossy black look of the OEM grilles vs the matte finish of a plasti-dip product. I know plasti-dip has a "glossifier" but I have seen the end result in person and do not think it finishes all that great, at least not as nice as a wrap.

I understand it may be slightly more tedious to work with, but I more or less was curious as to people's experience's in durability and overall product quality before I did anything.

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone have any experience in using a high quality (ie. 3M) vinyl wrap to cover their front grilles? I wanted to keep the glossy black look of the OEM grilles vs the matte finish of a plasti-dip product. I know plasti-dip has a "glossifier" but I have seen the end result in person and do not think it finishes all that great, at least not as nice as a wrap.

I understand it may be slightly more tedious to work with, but I more or less was curious as to people's experience's in durability and overall product quality before I did anything.

Cheers!
I'd think it would be a difficult task to wrap those. If someone was to wrap them I don't think he'll charge anything less than $75-$100. You can buy a OEM style grille in gloss black for that much and you would still have your stock grille incase you ever decide on going back stock. That's my opinion but maybe I'm wrong about the wrap pricing. I just guesstimated based off how much I paid to wrap my roof spoiler. I paid $80 to wrap it in 3M and the roof spoiler is a much easier task.

Gloss black grille
http://www.modbargains.com/BMW-Performance-Gloss-Black-Kidney-Grilles-F30-328i-335i.htm

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a gloss black set of kidney grills that were only on my car for 2 weeks. I switched to matte black grills. I'm willing to sell the gloss black grills if you're interested.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a gloss black set of kidney grills that were only on my car for 2 weeks. I switched to matte black grills. I'm willing to sell the gloss black grills if you're interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but I wanted to try my hand at wrapping the set on the car. Worst case is I spend 30 minutes of my time and $10 in materials.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I had a local shop do mine. He wrapped the chrome part of the grill in a gloss carbon fiber.

·
Vendor
2,375 Posts
I have yet to see someone wrap their grilles, however I think it would work great if done correctly. As far as plasti-dip, your grilles have a lot of tiny spaces it would need to get into in order to look flush, making it more difficult to pull off. Post pics once you've figured it out!

·
Registered
221 Posts
This sure sounds like a tedious procedure, and a whole lot of time.

·
///Member
508 Posts
I'm interested and PM sent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have yet to see someone wrap their grilles, however I think it would work great if done correctly. As far as plasti-dip, your grilles have a lot of tiny spaces it would need to get into in order to look flush, making it more difficult to pull off. Post pics once you've figured it out!
Well the grille is two separate parts. The outer chrome section encases the inside "ribs" which are already black.

Will hopefully be able to try it out this weekend and post the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See link below for DIY video. I hope to get this done this weekend...
https://youtu.be/hbrUN9P5UXs?list=LL6azK1u_IH9B7E96C_jQivg

Wrapped my grilles yesterday. Started around 1-1:30 and finished up around 6. First time using the vinyl material so it took a little time to get used to but very forgiving. I used the 3M 1080 Piano Gloss Black (Amazon $14 for a 5x1 sheet, enough material for 3 grilles).

Very happy with the end result. I will post pictures later tonight if you care to see, but it looks like an OEM finish honestly, better than I anticipated. Unless you are looking at it from a few inches away, there would be no reason for anyone to think that they weren't stock.

I will see how long/well they hold up, but highly recommend at least trying this before spending $150-250 online somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts