BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed and waxed my '02 325i for the first time (after much reading/researching on the boards). I used vinylex on the interior trim, lexol on the leather, p21s shampoo to wash, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to polish and and blitz to wax. So far the results of the blitz and the lexol i am really happy with.

The Vinylex however had made my interior look a little to wet and "plasticy" for my taste. I've tried buffing with the cotton cloth but it's not really doing much to help. is there anything i can do to 'dry' up the look of the dash and get it closer to the original look?

I also tried the Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss for the tires and their results have been good and seem like it'll last... I'm waiting for a heavy downpour though to see how well it holds up.

anyone have suggestiong as to how to use the vinylex without getting that deep wet shiny look? and how to dull the stuff i have on their? I'm not a huge fan of the wet shiny interior look.

thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go over it with a dry towel.

I have used products like this too. It's usually a good idea to go over it with a fresh, dry towel to take some of the protectant off and leave you with a clean look. Don't wipe off all of your product. Just a "once-over." The surface will still be somewhat shiny, but won't look wet and greasy. I prefer this look on my tires as well.

Best of luck.

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any other products

thanks, what do you normally use? i used vinylex because that was what was recommended most frequently on the boards - i just don't like the greasy feel or look of it.

I must say i did like the Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss for my tires... i used the blitz on my tires too after some alloy cleaner but true to form (my car is only 2 weeks old) they're starting to get covered in brake dust. any recommendations for keeping the brake dust from sticking to the tires?

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Use the Vinelyx with an applicator pad and then buff with a clean cotton towel:) The applicator insure even coating with not over applying (which will cause the look you refer to). Then by wiping it down with a towel, you are doubly sure not to have too much on and that it is even.:p

I use it ~ every other week on dash and once a month on rest of interior (ette for me) and love the results:thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Meguiar's

I use Meguiar's products across the board. Natural Shine on the dash, High Gloss on the tires, and Hot Rims for the wheels.

The tire gloss is great if you use my suggestion. I wipe off a layer so it keeps the tires looking black and shiny while not greasy. I don't think I have ever experienced brake dust on the tires. The Hot Rims keeps the wheels looking like they have just been polished and makes it easy to just wipe off the brake dust.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recently switched to 303 Aerospace Protectant for my interior vinyl surfaces. It leaves a nice matte finish. Previously, I used Vinylex for a couple years and Meguiar's #40 for many years before that.

Endurance as a tire dressing. :thumb: The stuff lasts longer than anything else I've tried. For cleaning tires and wheels, I like Eimann Fabrik Hi Intensity cleaner. Use it full strength the first time and you'll be amazed at the amount of dirt that comes off. For regular use afterwards, you can dilute with water 1:1.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i have a bottle of 303 too, but

it smells like ass after application. my vinylex leaves a new carish smell, but 303 after like an hour smells like bad BO. i put it on, had to vinylex to get rid of the smell. then i tried again, still. )=

but i like vinylex anyways

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: i have a bottle of 303 too, but

eugeneDC/TX said:
it smells like ass after application. my vinylex leaves a new carish smell, but 303 after like an hour smells like bad BO. i put it on, had to vinylex to get rid of the smell. then i tried again, still. )=
Hmmmm, I think Vinylex smells worse than 303. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The vinylex can be stubborn, and can penetrate one spot. I do not like the wet look either, but the majority of protectancts will do that. IMO, the vinylex lasts a good while, and in a few weeks, the wet look should be gone. I vinylex the interior about 4 times a year, and that ought to be enough. As for the wet look, I can't suggest anything else that will look different:dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts