BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over a speed bump or a small, pot hole, I get this sudden shaking like my front tire is gonna shake right off. It stops shaking when I release the brake pedal. Weird.

Also get the steering wheel vibration b/w 40-55 mph. Probably due to worn out bushings?

Not sure if these two are related.

Thanks!

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
If it's a constant vibration (especially at low speeds), it could be a bad tire.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is a known issue resulting from worn shocks. Do a search for "violent shudder" and youll see endless pages on the topic

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
what lsfeder said

Shocks on our cars are hard to catch when they go wrong, as the wallowing that is common on other cars doesn't present itself for quite some time, if ever, due to proper suspension geometry. However, the ABS picks up on the bouncing that the driver doesn't notice, or doesn't consider out of the ordinary, and attempts to correct for curious wheel behaviour as it sees it, which in turn causes the juddering.

Full suspension overhaul isn't a bad idea, as there's a fair bit of rubber that is probably worn out by now and the labour is the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The steering wheel shake at 50 when braking is probably your "Thrust Arms". I just did mine and everything feels tighter and vibration gone. I suggest the entire arm vs just the bushing. I was about to do an entire overhaul, but I do not have the funds. If you do, I would suggest like bmw_n00b13 as the labour is the same since everything is apart.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys.

Will take it in to replace struts. I can do the bushings but that prob won't fix my issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts