BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading the V1 installation thread I noted that some proud Virginian BMW owners were looking to Valentine for assistance from traffic tickets. Evidently, it is illegal to have a radar detector there. However, it may worth risking that violation to avoid the fine for speeding (20 over the speed limit). A recent article details Virginia's new law. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-29-Va-new-driving-laws_N.htm. Non-residents passing through Virginia are not subject to the $3000 penalty. (This did not seem to go with the V1 thread).

·
Registered
73 Posts
if the new fines don't get reversed by our state legislature, i am getting a v1 for my car. reckless driving fine is higher than a dui in most states crazy way they have of trying to fund new road construction in this state. my solution will be to vote them all out in the next election.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
I drive I-81 all the way through VA a few times a year.
Always late at night, at 80-85 mph or more.
Obviously depending on weather and traffic conditions.
Never had an issue, the V1 just picks out every local and state police for me.

My last ticket in VA was 83 in a 65 circa 1993.
Would this ticket today cost $3000? That is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

And never any issues with detector detection? Id love to have one installed but would be paranoid that they would strip it out and confiscate.

BTW, great pics. You have a beautiful family.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
And never any issues with detector detection? Id love to have one installed but would be paranoid that they would strip it out and confiscate.

BTW, great pics. You have a beautiful family.
Never ONE issue with detector detection.
I bought a V1 in 1994 and had it updated regularly.
I have not yet upgraded to POP though.
Full faith in V1 and have hardwired it in 5 cars since then incl current 5er.

Thanks for the kind words re family. :)

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts

Not if you do not meet the criteria.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You out of staters don't need to worry.

The outrageous fines apply only to VA residents. How F/U is that. So if you are a New Yorker on your way to Florida, let er rip. It is just this inequity that may cause the law to be revised.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thats precisely the reason I decided to keep my MD plates although I stay in VA mostly.

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
The outrageous fines apply only to VA residents. How F/U is that. So if you are a New Yorker on your way to Florida, let er rip. It is just this inequity that may cause the law to be revised.
I think maybe it's a tourism gimmick to get us folks in the Northeast to visit VA. :) I'm happy to see this thread - we go on vacation soon and have reservations at VA beach! I will definitely keep this in mind as I roar on down I-95 on our way to Virginia Beach next month!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
259 Posts
if the new fines don't get reversed by our state legislature, i am getting a v1 for my car. reckless driving fine is higher than a dui in most states crazy way they have of trying to fund new road construction in this state. my solution will be to vote them all out in the next election.
it does seem kinda retarded they would go this route to make money for road construction, but NOVA does have serious problem with drivers....maybe not so much on the highways, but in and around town drivers here are terrible....I'm not from around here....just here cause of military business...i'm shocked at how many times i turn on the tv and find someone has run over a child cause they ran a light....how many times have metro drivers ran over pedestrians? Living on Route 1/Richmond Hwy, I see EMS rescue trucks racing to accidents at least twice - every night.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The story is either untrue or it's an illegal law which will be stricken down on appeal.

It says it's a civil penalty. Why is there a civil penalty for a criminal offense?

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
As a New Yorker on my way to Florida this winter, I firmly thank you for permission to let er rip.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Supposedly, the new high fines will apply only to "abusive" Va. drivers -- those who have a record of misbehaving on the road. A court test is in the offing.

According to local news stories, two other states -- Michigan and New Jersey -- have similar laws. I'm a bit surprised that no forum members from those states have commented on this thread.

Our legislature came up with this plan to raise money for road construction without increasing taxes. Most voters didn't know about it, course, and the general reaction now that the new system is in place has been vigorous. The next round of elections will be interesting.

Y'all come on down and drive fast. We can change our tourist slogan to "Virginia is for speeders."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts