BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a neat blurb at http://www.sgi.com/ on how BMW uses VR technology from SGI to design cars. Everything from virtual crash testing, interior materials, and determing how door locks will sound (tinny like my current Mazda, or nice and solid like the 325iT we hope to take ED on next year).

Obligatory disclaimer: Yes, I do work for SGI, and I do think we make the biggest, baddest and coolest supercomputers on the planet. But, this is a neat insight into the BMW design process and showcases some pretty nifty technology, like the Reality Center.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Chrysler has some neat VR stuff like this. They can do a lot of their crash testing "virtually" without having to build prototypes and ruin them. It was in a MotorTrend Magazine issue a year or so ago... when I get home I'll look online for the article.

Jonathan

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, pretty well all of the major auto manufacturers have stuff like this, as well as oil and gas companies, aerospace, etc.

There's more on Reality Centers at http://www.sgi.com/realitycenter/. I sat through a demo of a 180 degree one at corp headquarters one time (the screen wraps around to 180 degrees of your field of vision) and it was *seriously cool.* The flight sim was the best part.:bigpimp:

·
BFE 2003
95 Posts
LOL..another disclaimer!

and sorry to go Off-topic..but let ME plug SGI for a second.. I had a 1600SW flatpanel, which I got USED. 3 weeks later, a line of pixels died on it. SGI overnighted me a new one, FREE. Didnt even bill a credit card; I took the new one out, and sent the old one back..now THATS service. And it was my favorite flatpanel, although legacy support with the 16:10 ratio made legacy support an issue and I sold it to get a Samsung 210T.

SGI need an egronomics/biomechanics/human factors people? I need a job next year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.