Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I started having this weird problem. Every time I press the volume down button on the steering wheel, instead of lowering the volume, it actually activate one of the programmable memory buttons. It started activating button 1, but now it's activating button 2.

Have anyone else experience this before in any BMW?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out what's happening with the steering controls for the Volume up and down. The volume down button is actually activating the phone button that's right next it, which in turn is activating my programmed speed dial buttons.

So basically the left steering control unit is malfunctioning. I think the silicone underneath the buttons is actually one piece and somehow it's triggering the wrong button.

Can I just buy the left steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,216 Posts
There might just be some accumulated crap that has gotten in under the buttons and is causing the problem. I'd take some compressed air or use one of those computer air cans and operate the buttons and blow the air in as best you can around each button. That might dislodge something and bring you back to normal operation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There might just be some accumulated crap that has gotten in under the buttons and is causing the problem. I'd take some compressed air or use one of those computer air cans and operate the buttons and blow the air in as best you can around each button. That might dislodge something and bring you back to normal operation.
good idea. i'll try it and see it works. thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have the same issue but its intermitent. Like to see how you make out.
I found a good price for a sport steering wheel with controls on ebay. I'm gonna swap out my non-sport for the sport version. fix and upgrade my issue at the same time! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts