BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think around 1500 but just saw it a bit cheaper. I like it but would really like to see it in person. wondering what everyone else thought of it.

Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This following thread has some pics of my 540 with the Vorsteiner non-vented CF hood with power buldge.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283311
Thank you very much for the pics. Now I'm really on the fence. Love your car but not sure I like that honeycomb look - is that a trait of all carbon fiber hoods b/c in the pic I linked to, it wasn't apparent. My car is black, perhaps it wouldn't be as dramatic on mine.

However, yours looks great. How much was that SC kit on yours installed?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YADA, you put me back in the like it side of the fence. I think its a hot look. Someone in the Borgata poker room in the coming weeks, although they don't know it yet, are getting ready to pay for my new hood. LOL>

Steve

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I think it looks ok on an M3 that is outfitted to race (not rice). It looks ok in that environment, like it was made for that.

But on the E39 I think it looks out of place. Yes it is ricer on an E39. unless that E39 was a real race car and was fitted out that way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think it looks ok on an M3 that is outfitted to race (not rice). It looks ok in that environment, like it was made for that.

But on the E39 I think it looks out of place. Yes it is ricer on an E39. unless that E39 was a real race car and was fitted out that way.
Well, I'm feeling you a bit or I wouldn't pose the question to begin with. So, following that logic to its natural conclusion, many of the mods we do to an e39 are in the rice vein are they not?

After all, why the bigger tires, CAI's, chips, wheels, SSK's, exhausts, etc etc etc. Where is the line?

Is everything else ok, but a carbon hood with vents cross the line b/c the car won't hit the track? I don't ask these questions rhetorically - I'm really wondering. Because i owned an M3 and it never saw the track. And I've driven my e39 far faster and harder than that 1st M3.

Where and what is the line? Is the m5 lip spoiler, front spoiler, rear diffuser on the e39 ok? And those trouble me the most (no offense to anyone that has done them) but I rode by an M5 the other day and I was wondering what it would feel like if he saw the tell tale front spoiler and as I pass him he realizes I'm just imitating an M5...

I'm all for a better front spoiler, I think the stock sucks but again, where and what is the line?

Why is a carbon fiber hood not asthetic but an m5 front spoiler is?

·
Registered
458 Posts

That really doesn't make sense. Then why would anyone cut up the bumper to put an exhaust on, or the m5 wing, or a bbk, I could keep doing this :)

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Well, I'm feeling you a bit or I wouldn't pose the question to begin with. So, following that logic to its natural conclusion, many of the mods we do to an e39 are in the rice vein are they not?

After all, why the bigger tires, CAI's, chips, wheels, SSK's, exhausts, etc etc etc. Where is the line?

Is everything else ok, but a carbon hood with vents cross the line b/c the car won't hit the track? I don't ask these questions rhetorically - I'm really wondering. Because i owned an M3 and it never saw the track. And I've driven my e39 far faster and harder than that 1st M3.

Where and what is the line? Is the m5 lip spoiler, front spoiler, rear diffuser on the e39 ok?
You are taking your point too far. I'm not looking or speaking of a carbon hood. Im talking about the lovers in the hood only.

The louvers look good on ANY car that looks the part of racing, a real race car with lovers that are there to keep the motor cool. For real.

Lovers in the hood of any non real racer looks rice.

This has nothing to do with chips, chrome wheels, larger wheels, etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are taking your point too far. I'm not looking or speaking of a carbon hood. Im talking about the lovers in the hood only.

The louvers look good on ANY car that looks the part of racing, a real race car with lovers that are there to keep the motor cool. For real.

Lovers in the hood of any non real racer looks rice.

This has nothing to do with chips, chrome wheels, larger wheels, etc.
I'm not trying to take it too far, I'm just really wondering and struggling with it b/c I understand your original point.

Now that you've clarified, what is wrong with venting an egine bay on a big v8 that is notorious for running hot? I can barely stand my car in the summer w/o the air on. Is there no benefit to venting on a car that won't hit the track, but is modifided, chipped, etc and driven hard?

You see, I do like the vented look asthetically, but was wondering if there would be any benefit since the v8's run so hot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not trying to take it too far, I'm just really wondering and struggling with it b/c I understand your original point.
Now that you've clarified, what is wrong with venting an egine bay on a big v8 that is notorious for running hot? I can barely stand my car in the summer w/o the air on. Is there no benefit to venting on a car that won't hit the track, but is modifided, chipped, etc and driven hard?

And I forgot to add to the previous list, why lower a car, like many of us do, that will never race or hit the track...for lowered cars, coil overs etc are the stuff of racing applications that made their way to street applications.

Anyway, I do like the vented look asthetically, but was wondering if there would be any benefit since the v8's run so hot. And by the way, I appreciate your opinion - that's why I posted in the first place :)

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
I'm feeling a power bulge in my pants just looking at those hoods. Mmmmm....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, away from the asthetics (I do like the LOOK), what does everyone think about the possible benefit of the venting on a big v8. Those engines are hot and like I said, I can barely stand my car in the summer without the air on. Now I'm not suggesting there would be a performance boost, and I already have a Dinan CAI, but would there be any practical advantage to the venting?

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Dude, quit trying to talk yourself into getting this thing and just get it. I'm sure the vents would help cool it down a bit but I doubt you could use that to single handedly justify a $1500+ purchase. It's gorgeous and you love it, therefore just get it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts