Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2010 E92 with its N54 engine for only about 6 months. It only has 50K miles on it. Does anyone know when it might need its intake valves walnut blasted? It runs great now and I want to keep it that way

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
There's no hard and fast rule, but 50k is the number most commonly mentioned.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have owned my 2010 E92 with its N54 engine for only about 6 months. It only has 50K miles on it. Does anyone know when it might need its intake valves walnut blasted? It runs great now and I want to keep it that way
If ain't broken - don't fix it. Save your nuts - you may need them later...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If ain't broken - don't fix it. Save your nuts - you may need them later...
:confused: This is the exact reason people get into trouble when they buy a used BMW. The previous owner(s) neglected to do any preventative maintenance, and then offloaded the car to the unsuspecting Bimmerfest forum member who is now left with doing a bunch of stuff all at the same time.

Do the preventative maintenance :thumbup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just purchased an N55 2012 (9/2011 build) and I'm new to all this. Does the N55 need it? How invasive is it, does the head need to come off?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I just purchased an N55 2012 (9/2011 build) and I'm new to all this. Does the N55 need it? How invasive is it, does the head need to come off?
Yes it will need blasting. Nope, the head doesn't need to come off. Just the intake manifold. It's doable at home but it's messy as hell.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Once you have your feed valve adjusted right, it's really not messy. Second time I did it, I used like 12 lbs of media and the spillage was a 5 minute cleanup.

First time, though. Yeah, what a mess.

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
Since the problem seems to be endemic with DI engines, the typical answer is "yes" for the N55. That being said, there are far fewer reports of issues with severe carbon buildup on the intake valves of an N55 than there are for an N54.

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
Since the problem seems to be endemic with DI engines, the typical answer is "yes" for the N55. That being said, there are far fewer reports of issues with severe carbon buildup on the intake valves of an N55 than there are for an N54.
Possibly because they are newer? I had one last summer - wish I'd known how common the issue was on BMW DI engines from the start. I'll not forget soon though. Any idea if BMW has any SIB's regarding the carbon issues?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279872

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
Possibly because they are newer? I had one last summer - wish I'd known how common the issue was on BMW DI engines from the start. I'll not forget soon though. Any idea if BMW has any SIB's regarding the carbon issues?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279872
Not just BMW's DI, everyone's. It's why so many manufacturers are adding some level of port injection on to DI engines to keep the valves clean.

I don't know of any SIBs. I do know that when I picked up my F22 3 years ago, I was chatting with the service manager and he was commenting on how many people try to avoid the cost like the plague and keep putting it off and putting it off. I told him that if it needed to be done, I just considered it part of the price for the fun that comes with the engine.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Once you have your feed valve adjusted right, it's really not messy. Second time I did it, I used like 12 lbs of media and the spillage was a 5 minute cleanup.

First time, though. Yeah, what a mess.
Had to do this twice on an Audi A4 with the 3.2 litre V6. Once at 150,000km and again at 185,000km to pass the e-test. The cleaning process required manually scraping the ports after a number of solvent soaks, followed up by walnut blasting.

Loved the car. Hated the engine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow, ok, I'm not afraid of maintenance costs, I bought a maintenance contract with the E93, I wonder if this would be covered, is it a BMW dealer service type of thing?
Please excuse the naive questions.
How can you tell if your car needs it (prior to just outright not running)?
Are there preventative measures you can take? I run Chevron Supreme in the vehicles I own that count, I really believe it 'drives them clean'

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
Wow, ok, I'm not afraid of maintenance costs, I bought a maintenance contract with the E93, I wonder if this would be covered, is it a BMW dealer service type of thing?
BMW plans won't cover it, and I've never heard of a 3rd party plan doing so either.

The definitive way is to run a fiber optic camera down to the valves and take a look. It's readily apparent.

For me, I had it done when I started noticing a shudder in the middle of the RPM range (2500 - 3500 RPM) during slow acceleration. From the pictures the shop showed me, the valves were pretty fouled.

Are there preventative measures you can take? I run Chevron Supreme in the vehicles I own that count, I really believe it 'drives them clean'
Not really. The reason that DI (Direct Injection) engines have this problem is that the fuel is injected directly into the cylinders, never flowing across the valve bodies. As the intake air contains some level of oil fumes from the PCV system, the oil vapor burns on the valves and leaves carbon buildup. While the gasoline may have a lot of detergents in it, the parts of the valves that coke up never see it.

Some folks speculate that oil catch cans can limit the problem. From what I've seen, that's speculative at best, with no data to back it up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
BMW plans won't cover it, and I've never heard of a 3rd party plan doing so either.

The definitive way is to run a fiber optic camera down to the valves and take a look. It's readily apparent.

For me, I had it done when I started noticing a shudder in the middle of the RPM range (2500 - 3500 RPM) during slow acceleration. From the pictures the shop showed me, the valves were pretty fouled.
Thanks Zooks527 I've had this car two days...(I LOVE it..)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
......'
I was quoted $1200 plus parts.

Sometimes the CEL will be illuminated and the code will be something like" fuel trim is out of range" or "air /fuel ratio not plausible" or " air/fuel ratio is out of range".

Only in extreme cases will the car not run. What's happening is that not enough air can get into the cylinders to get the stochimetric ratio to lambda, so in effect the engine will run rich . You can smell it in the exhaust.

In the worst case, you may need to do a cleaning every 20k to 40k miles. Look up "induction cleaning" as an option.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts