Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to here.

I have a X3 but it need some repair now. want to buy reliable bmw E60 with budget to backup my X3.

The model will be 525i, 530i or 528i with rear wheel drive.

My question is, how much maintenance per year if I go with an indy shop? Are they reliable with 100k km on them? Thanks.

Which is the most reliable of these three? 525i, 530i or 528i ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2010 535xi. I bought at 80k, just now at 150k and seems to be going to ****. One thing after another. Little things, but annoying. Getting ready to trade it off. I got 70k awesome miles of of her though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have yet to hear of a reliable BMW.
If you can do your own maintenance, or are part of the 1%, then it won't matter what vehicle you have.
Best bet is to find a car that has a well documented maintenance history so you'll know what was already replaced and when.
No matter what, things fail with time and use. Mileage doesn't matter as much as usage history. Was it beat on for 100k, or did G-ma drive it solely on long road trips?
Mine was more the latter, but I also have a huge collection of dealership paperwork of various bits replaced or fixed during that previous ownership.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
The ones you named are the least troublesome of the lot.

BUT assuming you don't have a bucket of money to toss away, BMW E60 is a bad idea >100Kmi, and potentially bad <100K if poorly maintained prior.

If you can DIY, it's not that expensive. Example: N52 valve cover gasket (common>100K) is about $90 parts DIY +3 hours work. About $900 at an indy; about $1500 at a dealer.

So, no. Love 'em in many ways, but either marry a mechanic or DIY it. Too expensive for the average owner to maintain.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, you guys are right. My current N52 X3 is leaking now, I saw valve cover gasket is leaking, also suspect that the OFHG is leaking too, I can smell the oder already. But the problem is, I am the first time trying to diy, not much confidence, so want to get another one to back it up, try to fix one at a time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a re-search about the E60/E61, it is about 700/yr for a indy. Comparing to E70 about 1250/yr, it is much better. And I did some easy diy, the cost will be lower, thanks.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Sure -- do the easy DIY and "bank" the savings for the hard stuff, done by the indy. Many have gone this way.

But you're going to pay for the hard stuff, and potentially a lot.

Just be prepared, and make damn sure you get a solid PPI on anything you consider buying.

And walk away if the news is bad. Falling in love with a car does not magically repair the problems you found in the PPI.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure -- do the easy DIY and "bank" the savings for the hard stuff, done by the indy. Many have gone this way.

But you're going to pay for the hard stuff, and potentially a lot.

Just be prepared, and make damn sure you get a solid PPI on anything you consider buying.

And walk away if the news is bad. Falling in love with a car does not magically repair the problems you found in the PPI.

You are right, I am just falling love with bmw. I know buying Lexus or Lincoln town car would be a wiser choice but I just like bmw. and want own couple of them. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've owned a 530i for 1.5yrs, 126k well taken care of but one thing after another but first thing I diy'd was the control arms, found on sale upper and lower for 150, replaced in a couple hours, easy. Fuel pump, easy... removed the trunk lid liner yesterday to inspect wiring, 14 plastic anchors securing a 2ft piece of trunk liner!?!
Oh, I was inspecting wires due to the electrical system imploding day by day...
Amazing car to drive, best stock sound system I've ever owned, sitting it my driveway and I'm about to post it for sale as a parts car at this point... whatever bmw you have, study the electrical system and keep a close eye on all seals meant to keep water out of those areas. Imho

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi, new to here.

I have a X3 but it need some repair now. want to buy reliable bmw E60 with budget to backup my X3.

My question is, how much maintenance per year if I go with an indy shop? Are they reliable with 100k km on them? Thanks.

I own a 2007 550i and it's been quite reliable. I got almost stranded once due to cooling system rapture and coolant loss. This is one of the things to fix before it fails while you drive. This goes for naturally aspirated BMW's. Turbo engines have a bunch of issues of their own. Another one, as already mentioned is the electrical system. These e60's have a spider's web of electrical connections that if neglected can give you a major hair loss. At the end of the day, if you treat your vehicles with care they will be relatively reliable but BMWs, as you probably know, tend to cost more in general when something breaks. Just as an example, I recently replaced clutch and dual mass flywheel which ended up costing me $3600+ for parts and labor. Sure, I replaced couple of other things along the way while the transmission was out but those parts were worn out as well. On top of that, a week later I had to replace oxygen sensor which cost me $300. I did both due to the mileage and to save on labor. At the end of the day both sensors + labor cost me $800+. As you can see, it's not cheap to own one of these but once you replace all key components at certain mileage (200k+ kilometers or so) you are good for the next 200k. I hope this sheds some light on things.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Hi, new to here.

Reliability is one thing ,, maintenance is another . People think high maintenance is unreliability . but that cant be further from reality .

A car that consonantly leaves you stranded on the side of the road,, thats unreliable in my opinion .

Then ,, there is high maintenance , that , has a higher cost of ownership . and thats if you don't turn your own wrench ..

The point Im making here is high maintenance is not un reliability . I think i can speak from my own experience with my 545 .. Owning it now for 11 years ,, its only been on a flat bed twice . Both times its been my own fault .. A shreaded belt took out the water pump seal . and the second time a loose battery terminal popped my BST ..

Im at 126,000 miles and its solid as a rock ... so to answer your question ,, yes they are reliable at 100,000 miles . IF,,, properly maintained ..

·
Rookiemistake
59 Posts
Reliability is relative. keep your AAA card paid up and have a nice garage with a lift.
Few people crawl under a car as much as I do at my age, but I learn a lot.

Repair skills are necessary for a used BMW

Otherwise, lease one.

I bet the local dealer sells more BMWs than the next three dealerships.

They are hot items.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Reliability is relative.
keep your AAA card paid up and have a nice garage with a lift.
Check, check.
Few people crawl under a car as much as I do at my age, but I learn a lot.
Check.

Repair skills are necessary for a used BMW
Check.

Otherwise, lease one.

I bet the local dealer sells more BMWs than the next three dealerships.

They are hot items.
Um, not so much. Aspiration instead of transportation.

I have been wrenching for 40 + years. My E61 has 351,000 kms on it. I had to flat bed it less than a month ago due to a crappy rebuilt alternator.

I bought it used and I have put 260,000 kms on it.

I think my TCO has probably been around $20,000 over the 8 years I have owned it, including everything from oil changes, tires to the water pump, suspension pump, brakes, shocks, springs, etc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check, check.

Check.

Check.

Um, not so much. Aspiration instead of transportation.

I have been wrenching for 40 + years. My E61 has 351,000 kms on it. I had to flat bed it less than a month ago due to a crappy rebuilt alternator.

I bought it used and I have put 260,000 kms on it.

I think my TCO has probably been around $20,000 over the 8 years I have owned it, including everything from oil changes, tires to the water pump, suspension pump, brakes, shocks, springs, etc.

Thank you all guys and you guys give me confidence. 260,000 kms in 8 years cost 20, 000 is ok for me too, but I can't drive that much...:thumbup:

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
Id pass..

I also have a x3 and a 540 on top of the 550...

If your not doing it all your self.. OR if you dont have a problem with dropping thousands of dollars at a time on it for repair.. You should pass this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts