BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2007 328i and it has black taillights that I'm not digging at all. If someone has some originals they want to trade that are in excellent shape let me know. I'm up in Seattle.

Attachments

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 328i and it has black taillights that I'm not digging at all. If someone has some originals they want to trade that are in excellent shape let me know. I'm up in Seattle.
The guy didn't keep the originals?

·
Registered
213 Posts
wow, that car color is nice, but those blacked out lights look AWFUL.

why do people do this? It doesnt look good on a '93 civic, and it sure as hell doesn't work on a newer BMW!

...I entered this thread misreading the title thinking it was trade my blackLINE taillights for your OEM. that, I would be all over.

Good luck with finding someone to trade with, there are very FEW bmw owners looking for blacked out tails - I would just go buy yourself a set of blackline tails and ditch the old ones - that shouldnt be put on ANY memeber's car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I'm not a huge fan of them and desperately want them off. Your opinion, do you think the smoked Blacklines or the clear ones would look good here? I'm a little indecisive....

Thanks!

bu66a

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree, I'm not a huge fan of them and desperately want them off. Your opinion, do you think the smoked Blacklines or the clear ones would look good here? I'm a little indecisive....

Thanks!

bu66a
Not sure there are different black line taillights? I think there is only one kind of blackline taillight.

the blacklines, have a clear top part of light on both the actual light and the truck peice of the light... the "clear" part is definitely "smoked" but not blacked out. There is a tint of black to it, but it is mostly clear.

so to answer your question, I would just get the OEM blackline taillights and call it a day - I would try to get real BMW and not the knockoff ebay ones.

Someone who isnt as lazy as me will post a pic of the OEM blacklines. :D

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,087 Posts
Not sure there are different black line taillights? I think there is only one kind of blackline taillight.

the blacklines, have a clear top part of light on both the actual light and the truck peice of the light... the "clear" part is definitely "smoked" but not blacked out. There is a tint of black to it, but it is mostly clear.

so to answer your question, I would just get the OEM blackline taillights and call it a day - I would try to get real BMW and not the knockoff ebay ones.

Someone who isnt as lazy as me will post a pic of the OEM blacklines. :D
They come in clear, non-smoked, too.

OP, get a set of full LEDs. They look and work great. www.JLevisw.com

·
Registered
213 Posts
They come in clear, non-smoked, too.

OP, get a set of full LEDs. They look and work great. www.JLevisw.com
wow, really? I honestly never knew that. learn something new everyday ha :thumbup:

with that said, not sure which would look better, the clear or smoked... the smoked ones arent really that dark, so i would more or less call them "tinted" i guess?

I have a black car and will be getting the "tinted" blacklines as soon as I stop screwing around and start modding my car. :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
wow, that car color is nice, but those blacked out lights look AWFUL.

why do people do this? It doesnt look good on a '93 civic, and it sure as hell doesn't work on a newer BMW!

...I entered this thread misreading the title thinking it was trade my blackLINE taillights for your OEM. that, I would be all over.

Good luck with finding someone to trade with, there are very FEW bmw owners looking for blacked out tails - I would just go buy yourself a set of blackline tails and ditch the old ones - that shouldnt be put on ANY memeber's car
!
+1 on that, those things are hideous.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There are both kinds. The clear tops were OEM but not BMW (confusing, huh? Made by Hella #259807). Here's a link to them but I see they are no longer available:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/ES259807/

I bought these years ago and have them on my e90. I also have the originals. OP, if you want them and are willing to pay for the shipping, etc. I'm happy to send them to a new home.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
There are both kinds. The clear tops were OEM but not BMW (confusing, huh? Made by Hella #259807). Here's a link to them but I see they are no longer available:

Yes, it appears they have been discontinued. I knew a couple people that bought them, since they have the amber rear turn signals (instead of the red). I had never heard any complaints, so I assume they were good quality.

The replacement seems to be the lightly smoked version:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328i-N52_3.0L/Lighting/Tail_Lights/ES9942/

These still have the (much safer) amber rear turn signals, and are genuine BMW.

:drive:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I bought these years ago and have them on my e90. I also have the originals. OP, if you want them and are willing to pay for the shipping, etc. I'm happy to send them to a new home.
Are you saying you have the original manufacture tails or the ecstuning ones for a home?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well inst this just sad. This was my old car and its awful to see someone strip it down of the carbon fiber wrap interior, taillights, emblems and probably the black grill. I don't know why the hell you would buy this car in the first place if you're just going to take all the mods off. It is just silly and ticks me off. I know it was a good price at 18.9 but still, if you don't like everything in the car DON'T buy it in the first place...Whats next are you going to take of the Magnaflow exhaust? Rims also? This is making me go crazy! The car looked very sleek and sporty with a distinct look and honestly it seems like you're ruining it. I understand that a red BMW with the sport pkg black seats might be kind of hard to find. But still...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoa dude...settle down now. No need to get worked up. The reason why I bought this car was because of the looks and the mods. The only thing I didn't care for we're the tails. Matter of fact I've been pulled over twice because of the tails. If that's not another reason to put other ones on...Everything else is awesome, otherwise I would have kept what I had as I wasn't even in the market to buy a different car. That being said you did a great job on everything else and I get constant compliments.

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
Yes, it appears they have been discontinued. I knew a couple people that bought them, since they have the amber rear turn signals (instead of the red). I had never heard any complaints, so I assume they were good quality.

The replacement seems to be the lightly smoked version:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328i-N52_3.0L/Lighting/Tail_Lights/ES9942/

These still have the (much safer) amber rear turn signals, and are genuine BMW.

:drive:
I just bought clears bl"s for my E90 at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-3-S...332?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp

It's bmw of morristown's ebay store. There's still available:thumbup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the original tail lights to get rid of. The blacklines are on my car because I think they look better. You probably will to but you can have the originals if you'd like. PM me if you want to arrange something but I'm heading out of town for a ski vacation tomorrow morning.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.