BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

My ‘98 2.8 has a chunk of leather missing from the passenger seat. I have had a hard time tracking down a replacement. Napa seats are around but I cannot find any in Oregon Leather. I don’t want to reupholster the seat as it will not match the rest of the interior. I’m specifically looking for an OEM used replacement. Any leads would be appreciated!

·
Registered
122 Posts
It will be very difficult to find a matching piece of "Oregon Leather" dyed in the exact red color of the seat. I own a red couch, which after a move one of the cushions was damaged by the mover. I scowered the companies to have the torn leather replaced. One upholster companies matched the leather to a T. So, I had the replacement panel sewn in. Your car seats are at least 25 years old, lots of butts have crossed them, and not to mention dirt and grime, and cleaning attempts with harsh chemicals. I've had sections sewn into my old 97 328IC seats. All I had to do to make them match up was use harsh cleaners on the dark gray section I replaced. I also parked the car in the harsh Louisiana sun, with the top down when possible. Once a year I clean the off white seats in my Z4 with "Simplegreen". I then go over the seats with another cleaner and good leather conditioner. A good auto upholsterer could make a pattern of your old seat bottom, and make a full seat bottom for your car. Stitching new red leather into the old seat may be a problem since the stitching will be into a line of 25 year old leather seat stock. Good Luck.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Here are some things I'd try.
1. There are locations scattered around the US that specialize in collecting and parting out BMWs. Several in the Rancho Cordova area near Sacramento, and Lone Star Auto Parts near Houston to name 2. I've always felt they under advertise themselves, so you could call them.
2. Ask your local upholster what he has that is close and if he can stitch it in. Then call FibreNew and have them dye it. They might scuff up all the red leather in the seat so it's more uniform and just match it to the backrest red leather. I used them to dye some worn areas on a seat (not as big of damage as yours) and the results were excellent. www.fibrenew.com
3. Find a full seat bottom in Oregon leather in any color and ask if the middle color can be re-dyed, as the bolsters will still be black. I'm pretty sure it can.
4. And as you've probably done, keep an eye on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Even if you find a replacement, the seller won't sell you just the bottom; you'll have to buy the whole seat.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,155 Posts
Holey Rottweiler, batman....

or, talk about a smoking hot girlfriend...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts