BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just read the whole thread. Thanks to all who contribute. I'll be replacing this piece tomorrow and will try the following procedure: lube with some liquid like WD40 or Super Lube, remove top hose, put 9 or 10mm combo wrench in to push up on and squeeze the legs of the elbow together, pull elbow straight up and off. Maybe I'll stuff a rag in there in case a leg breaks off. Maybe I'll hit it with the heat gun first.

This is another one of those plastic pieces for older BMW's I want to start recreating in metal with a 3D printer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OMG you don't pry out on the two guides.
If you have a sharp pocket knife you can gently pry up on the nipple slowly working it up from under the elbow and working opposite the elbow, the nipple will come right out.
If you end up breaking the lower portion of the nipple you can just leave it, it will just float around...no worry about it getting sucked into the thermostat because it won't. The top of the radiator hose is the return from the Head, the lower hose is the input to the pump.
If you ever have to replace the water pump you'll have the radiator out anyways in most cases, just shake the broken piece from the elbow out at that time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My radiator is 1 year old so just pulling it out with a flat head screw driver was easy.
The part is nowhere to be found so I ended up rigging up a temporary fix

Maybe ill get one from the junk yard. Just need to find a car with a new radiator lol

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
FCP or maybe it was ECS sells those nipples.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
271 Posts
Yeah, I use that “save for later” feature in the cart. I could spend $50 in about ten seconds.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What are the chances lol, this is how I found it

But my custom made fix holding strong after 100km drive!
WTH, I can't believe that nipple fitting is not broken, chances of it being intact after seeing that damage, 1 in a gazzilion.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts