BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a brand new 2011 X3 xDrive35i fully loaded (except for HUD). I live in Canada, and am looking to import it. Canadian BMW X3s are about 15% more expensive in Canada. X3 must be American built so I can avoid import duty. Color not important, prefer non-beige interior. See specs below. I am located in the Toronto area but am willing to travel if the price is good. I am willing to purchase this weekend (April 2, 2011), just post a reply with how I can get a hold of you. Will need some documentation to import it to Canada (like a Clearance Certificate which BMW North America will provide).

3.0 liter 6-cylinder with TwinPower Turbo technology
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel-drive
Base MSRP $41,050
Deep Sea Blue Metallic $550
Black Nevada Leather $0
Fineline Siena wood trim $0
Cold Weather Package $1,150
Convenience Package $1,150
Sport Activity Package $1,250
Technology Package $3,200
Premium Package $3,450
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription $350
Destination & Handling: $875
Total MSRP as Built $53,025

·
Registered
385 Posts
RE:" X3 must be American built so I can avoid import duty". negative...not gonna happen. BMW NA is all over this kind of activity.
RE:"Will need some documentation to import it to Canada (like a Clearance Certificate which BMW North America will provide)." Double ditto

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess I would be willing to take a very lightly used demo off someone's hands.:)
As well, why would dealers not be willing to sell me a car? especially if I am willing to pay cash? Heck, that's quite the business model...turn away customers. Isn't that discriminatory practice?

I guess my choice is to buy BMW or to buy something else...non-BMW. I love BMW, but I am not going to pay $8K more for exactly the same car just because I am 100 miles away from Buffalo.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
As they say, location is everything...

Don't you also pay less for health care than say, someone from Buffalo?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's entirely debatable. In our healthcare system, everybody is entitled to low-cost healthcare, but it gets funded by taxes...so no, I guess I don't pay less for healthcare in the grand scheme of things. But as well, I go to Buffalo periodically to buy clothes and groceries because they are less expensive. Interestingly enough, at Macy's I even get an extra 15% discount because I am from Canada. Funny how Target, or Macy's or Top's doesn't ask me for proof of US citizenship before they sell me stuff....what a concept....I give them money, they give me stuff!

·
Happily Driving
7,160 Posts
Most importantly: is beer cheaper in Canada or Buffalo? :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If I remember right, BMW sent letters to dealers not allowing sales and shipment of parts from the US to Canada. I would think New car sales would be the same. I know my dealer will not sell a car to a canandian address. They require a U.S. address. Also, if you pay cash that is not an incentive to the dealer.

·
Registered
385 Posts
RE:"If I remember right, BMW sent letters to dealers not allowing sales and shipment of parts from the US to Canada. I would think New car sales would be the same. I know my dealer will not sell a car to a canandian address. They require a U.S. address. Also, if you pay cash that is not an incentive to the dealer." This is exactly the case; every point. Used cars are a different story; not owned by BMW NA.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,547 Posts
Tweek (and others)

What if the car was sold to a leasing company, with a one month lease..and a lease end buyout? Leasing company is in the US perhaps....they don;t need to pay use tax for the whole car, just each month....(I think)

Dunno, crazy idea- but maybe give Tarry at leasecompare a call......

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,547 Posts
Hmmm...sounds really interesting! Thanks for the idea!
Do you pay import duties or taxes on a new car? The lease could run long enough to avoid that.

Also, keep in mind that this is a business deal for the lessor... you want to minimize their risk, and let them make a bit of $$$. So a largish down payment would reduce their risk. (In the event you crash the car, or you flake out on the deal). $20k down insures you WILL be there in 1,2,4 months to buy it at the guaranteed lease end buyout.

What I am suggesting is very non-standard, so you need to speak with someone who can write their own rules and is a decision maker....

Anyway, food for thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its an american built car, through free-trade, no import duties, but I will have to pay HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) at 13% which I have to pay whether I buy in Canada or import from the US. And no problem on a high down. In fact, we could even do it for a buck a month least for a couple of months with a $0 buyout and I can give him a decent price for it up front.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,547 Posts
If its an american built car, through free-trade, no import duties, but I will have to pay HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) at 13% which I have to pay whether I buy in Canada or import from the US. And no problem on a high down. In fact, we could even do it for a buck a month least for a couple of months with a $0 buyout and I can give him a decent price for it up front.
You've got the idea. Also, do this over the phone, not email. The tone of your voice and how you discuss this will play a large role I think.

Is the HST the same on new and used? I assume it is, and is based on the market value. So you couldn't have a $1 buy out and pay 13 cents on that!

:)

Report back

A

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it is based on market value. And I would try to do the deal in person as opposed to over the phone.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,547 Posts
I'm just saying, everyone gets wacky email proposals (ask any BMW CA. ;) )and this one would probably result in a "we don't offer one month lease" response.

GL

A

·
Registered
2021 X5M
1,729 Posts
Tweek,

How would you get the car past Canadian Customs? I drove to Toronto last year for a conference, as I was 10,000 miles under on my 07 335 convertible with 4 months left on the lease, and got the 11th degree at the border by Canadian Customs asking me who owned the car. It also probably didn't help that I have SC tags. Wouldn't it raise a red flag with Canadian ID and US tags at the boarder? How would you get US tags to drive off the dealers lot? You should also enroll in NEXUS, as cars are not linked with your NEXUS membership card. Just some thoughts. I know that during my NEXUS interview I was told I had to declare goods and food from the US, as I then realized that Buffalo was exporting a lot to Canada to save on the taxes.

PS I was able to export a German/Euro spec M Sport front bumper for the E93 directly from dealership in Frankfort, DE in 2007 before the M-Sport package was offered in the US. There are ways around BMW NA. The Regensburg BMW AG manufacturing plant parts department gave me the German part number for the M-Sport Bumper and needed hardware after I showed him my US production number. I was also told if I couldn't find a dealership in Germany, then to e-mail him and he would ship it for me to the US.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
If I can lease the car for 1 month, I would just park it in a long term lot for a couple of hundred, then when purchased, I would take it across the border and it shouldn't pose an issue. Importing from Germany is not an option unless it is an American made car. If it is American/Mexican made, I do not have to pay the 6.1% duty (i.e. the car is duty free). That's what makes this all worthwhile, the X3 is built in Spartanburg South Carolina I think.

And think about some of the other issues I have had...the freight on an X3 is more than $2K in Canada, and 100 miles away, it is $795, then I have to pay this insane globali fee $500 which (in case my car is stolen) will give me a $4K credit with the dealer from which I bought the car...what a crock. If my vehicle gets stolen, I have insurance! Then there are the admin fees the dealers charge...again a load of....but I digress, if anyone has a slightly used 2011 X3 I would even consider buying that. A used car I know I won't have issues bringing over the border.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,547 Posts
^^ A leased car is owned by a leasing company... does customs really care who owns a car? I guess they are hired from the same pool of morons who staff our TSA.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
We US dealers can't sell to Canadian clients; it's against our franchise agreement. We can't even sell a car we know or think might be exported.

Sorry; try doing things the right/legal way...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts