BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· bimmer love
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know a guy parting out a 540i that im wanting the exhuast off to replace my aftermarket and put it back to stock. It looks like the same setup but will it sound different? and how much do you think i should pick it up for. Its apparent the car has some mileage on it so i was thinking like 300 for lung resanators back to the mufflers. reasonable?

· Registered
4,296 Posts
i know a guy parting out a 540i that im wanting the exhuast off to replace my aftermarket and put it back to stock. It looks like the same setup but will it sound different? and how much do you think i should pick it up for. Its apparent the car has some mileage on it so i was thinking like 300 for lung resanators back to the mufflers. reasonable?
No! give him $150 from the cat back, because most likely no one else wants it. But the catalyst converter is a different story.

· Member Supremo
1,730 Posts
I though 540s had different exhaust (has 2 canisters) than the I6...I could be wrong I have no idea but I though I read something like that.
540i- 2 cylindrical cans (1 closed 1 open-muffler)
non-540- 1 oval can

IMO no more than said $150 cat back. most people would toss the old exhaust once they put in a new Atfer makert one.
Yes it will sound different. let me rephrase... You want to put that stock muffler in place of your aftermarket one? if so well... there wont be any sound.

· bimmer love
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in the picture it definately had two "cans" so did my old exhuast. and no im not needing the cats. larger in diameter. so could i still be looking at a deeper sound? im sure it will be more quite then mine now

· livin the 'Fest
4,377 Posts
stock exuash is supposed to be quite, so a deep sound doubt it. but much quiter than what you have. but remeber if the 540's have a larger dia. than it might not bolt up to yours.

· bimmer love
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will do.but like DKing said. the 540s had two canisters and the nons had one canister. if mine had two canisters im guessing it would pretty much be the same diameter. plus isnt there ways to get it to fit between the cat and the resanator just weld up an adaptor piece?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.