Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The story says the 3l Nissan VQ has been replaced by the 3.5, but the 3.5 is still a VQ-series (VQ35DE) engine.

As for the S2000 engine, it won in 00 and 01, but the RSX-S is their first in the US with their new i-VTEC system which the S2000 motor doesn't have.

Oh, forgot to add that the S2000 is a 2.0l, not 2.2.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Kaz said:
The story says the 3l Nissan VQ has been replaced by the 3.5, but the 3.5 is still a VQ-series (VQ35DE) engine.

As for the S2000 engine, it won in 00 and 01, but the RSX-S is their first in the US with their new i-VTEC system which the S2000 motor doesn't have.

Oh, forgot to add that the S2000 is a 2.0l, not 2.2.
Makes sense. That's right, I was thinking of the prelude engine. I still love the s2000:thumb: . As for the nissan, aren't they at the ending stage with that v6? It's evolved for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
KP said:

Makes sense. That's right, I was thinking of the prelude engine. I still love the s2000:thumb: . As for the nissan, aren't they at the ending stage with that v6? It's evolved for quite some time.
It's been almost completely re-engineered since it came out in 1991 I believe. From 3.0 160hp in the Maxima to 3.5 ~280hp in the Z, I think they have proven this engine has plenty of potential.

Smoothest engine I have ever felt, definately.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
KP said:

The H22 was never a very good engine according to my Hondaphile friends. It was mostly a development for the US market where there is no displacement tax and people wanted more low-end. An interesting sidenote: The S2000 engine was the first from Honda to run clockwise, though I believe the RSX/S is also a clockwise engine. People have thought of dropping the S2000 motor in a FWD Honda only to be stopped early on because of this.

As for the VQ, it hasn't been around that long (since the 95 Maxima, since the previous one had the VG series engine that's still used in pickups), and Nissan seems to be resting most of their export line on that engine, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mystikal said:

It's been almost completely re-engineered since it came out in 1991 I believe. From 3.0 160hp in the Maxima to 3.5 ~280hp in the Z, I think they have proven this engine has plenty of potential.

Smoothest engine I have ever felt, definately.
Smoothest V-engine you mean RIGHT?:confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mystikal said:

I dunno, have you ever driven one? Pretty damn close to our sixes if not smooooooother. :p
Yah, driven it in several Maximas from '01 back to the late 80's a twin-turbo 300Z, the new Altima and G35 (admittedly a 3.5). It IS an excellent engine, but I drove the 3.0 version back to back with my 330 and I would have to give the 330 the edge.

The Maxima would get the bang-for-the-buck award. I am seriously thinking about it as a second car.

Based on my experience with the twin-turbo I would be interested to see what the E46 engine would be like with such a configuration! That would be scary fast.

The G35 with a stick will be interesting, that engine has LOTS of UMPH!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Adrian 330Ci'01 said:

Yah, driven it in several Maximas from '01 back to the late 80's a twin-turbo 300Z, the new Altima and G35 (admittedly a 3.5). It IS an excellent engine, but I drove the 3.0 version back to back with my 330 and I would have to give the 330 the edge.

The Maxima would get the bang-for-the-buck award. I am seriously thinking about it as a second car.

Based on my experience with the twin-turbo I would be interested to see what the E46 engine would be like with such a configuration! That would be scary fast.

The G35 with a stick will be interesting, that engine has LOTS of UMPH!
My mom used to have a 1998 Maxima SE, black on black with every option except auto. That engine was like butter. I have to admit though, I have yet to drive a 330. :(

An '02 Maxima SE 6-speed with the HLSD would quite a fun ride, I agree. The only problem is that my dealer would never stock 6-speeds in the lot. Order it with stick and test drive auto seems to be their policy.

And have you heard? There is a 380hp bi-turbo 3.0 I-6 coming out in the new E60 5er. I think we have the new M3 engine. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Kaz said:

The H22 was never a very good engine according to my Hondaphile friends. It was mostly a development for the US market where there is no displacement tax and people wanted more low-end. An interesting sidenote: The S2000 engine was the first from Honda to run clockwise, though I believe the RSX/S is also a clockwise engine. People have thought of dropping the S2000 motor in a FWD Honda only to be stopped early on because of this.

As for the VQ, it hasn't been around that long (since the 95 Maxima, since the previous one had the VG series engine that's still used in pickups), and Nissan seems to be resting most of their export line on that engine, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.
Regardless ofo torque, I've always liked the prelude. It's one of the nicest fwd cars, but a ***** to drive. I learned my first manual on a 93 prelude, and it had one of the most fussy engagements of any manual transmission I've ever driven thus far. But it taught me right:thumb: . I've read about the 2.0L engine many times, and it is quite an achievement. I also like the gearbox mated to the engine. Only if the car was a little stable and safe, I'd really love to have one. If I had money, I'd snatch one before they stop selling it:cry: .

As for Nissan, I always liked the 2.4L on the silvia. Too bad we never got any turbos, as well as the RB26DETT on the skyline:yikes: . It's too bad they are going to discontinue this model as well:bawling: .

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
KP said:
I've read about the 2.0L engine many times, and it is quite an achievement. I also like the gearbox mated to the engine. Only if the car was a little stable and safe, I'd really love to have one. If I had money, I'd snatch one before they stop selling it:cry: .
Well, all of the 92< Prelude's have had 2.2 engines, with power ranging from 135 and the way to 200. My uncle had a nice bright red Type-SH. He traded it last year for a GMC Envoy. That's right, an oversized Tonka toy. :tsk:

BTW, the last Prelude rolled off the assembly line in July 2001. There is no 2002. :cry:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
KP said:

As for Nissan, I always liked the 2.4L on the silvia. Too bad we never got any turbos, as well as the RB26DETT on the skyline:yikes: . It's too bad they are going to discontinue this model as well:bawling: .
Silvias (S13-14) and the 240sx we got in the US were completely different animals. US cars were heavier, softer, and had the terrible KA24E/DE truck engines, where Silvias in Japan got the ever-so-sweet SR20DET (turbo version of the Sentra SE-R/G20 motor). A friend of mine (who now has a GTI 1.8T) had a S14 240sx, and really liked the car in general, had plans for a full SR20DET transplant when it was stolen. :cry:

Now, the KA24 was a pretty stout motor (there was a Stanza on the import drag scene with this motor on NOS), but it was all noise above 3500rpm. My Mitsubishi Galant at the time also had a truck-based motor in it, but 3500 was when it started making power.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Mystikal said:

Well, all of the 92< Prelude's have had 2.2 engines, with power ranging from 135 and the way to 200. My uncle had a nice bright red Type-SH. He traded it last year for a GMC Envoy. That's right, an oversized Tonka toy. :tsk:

BTW, the last Prelude rolled off the assembly line in July 2001. There is no 2002. :cry:
oops, I was referring to the s2000 on that statement:confused: . I forgot to put that in there before, heh heh:D . Yeah I know, it also stinks that the prelude has stopped too. I'm sure the s2000 will go in a few years as well:cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts