BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one to feel that the air coming out of the vents (AC off) is too warm. Undoubtedly, this is because the ventilation tubing is close to the engine compartment. But I find it necessary to use the airconditioner even though it is relatively mild outside (mid 60's)
I did not notice this happening in my E36, and it doesn't happen in our van either.

·
YeeeeeHaaaaaww!
145 Posts
i also have this problem.. it was over 95 degrees so I thought it would take a few minutes to get colder and it never did..

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I have the same thing. My E39 was even worse! It pretty much forces you to turn on the AC, even when it's not that hot out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an E92. There is a thumb wheel located somewhere around the middle of the dash close to the door lock and DTC buttons. Make sure that it is turned completely to the left. Can make a big difference in HVAC Temps.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an E92. There is a thumb wheel located somewhere around the middle of the dash close to the door lock and DTC buttons. Make sure that it is turned completely to the left. Can make a big difference in HVAC Temps.
For a moment, you had me thinking that I was an idiot to have forgotten such a simple thing as the temperature control wheel. But I checked, and my thumb wheel is set all the way to the left, and has been since I received the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For a moment, you had me thinking that I was an idiot to have forgotten such a simple thing as the temperature control wheel. But I checked, and my thumb wheel is set all the way to the left, and has been since I received the car.
Are you using the air recirculation? make sure its set and not on auto.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the thumbwheel turned fully to the left. The problem seems to be that if you are not using the a/c when the engine is warm and then shut off, the engine heat warms the ducts that the air passes through and continues to blow noticeably warmer for quite some time (warmer than outside air) unless you turn on the a/c. Somewhat of an annoyance if you do not want to run the a/c all the time to save some gas and enjoy fresh air.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the thumbwheel turned fully to the left. The problem seems to be that if you are not using the a/c when the engine is warm and then shut off, the engine heat warms the ducts that the air passes through and continues to blow noticeably warmer for quite some time (warmer than outside air) unless you turn on the a/c. Somewhat of an annoyance if you do not want to run the a/c all the time to save some gas and enjoy fresh air.
+1
That's what I think.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know the opinions on Recirculation vary, but I tend to use it. Not sure how much less outside fumes, etc. comes in this way, but it should be easier on the micro filter.

It definitely is easier to keep the interior temperature in my vehicles lower using the recirculated A/C, vs. fresh supply, which is coming in rather hot right now :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Was this during day or night? Seems like for me the sun cooking the black dash heats the ducts. I run the A/C for a few minutes to cool the ducts and then switch the A/C off. The vents then seem to blow outside-air temps (at least at night). During the day, the sun baking the dash will eventually heat the ducts back up and you get hot air again.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Am I the only one to feel that the air coming out of the vents (AC off) is too warm. Undoubtedly, this is because the ventilation tubing is close to the engine compartment. But I find it necessary to use the airconditioner even though it is relatively mild outside (mid 60's)
I did not notice this happening in my E36, and it doesn't happen in our van either.
I picked up my 335i in Munich and drove nearly 800 miles and found the AC to be warmer than I like. It wasn't really all that hot outside either - low to mid 70s. My 2001 Audi has superb AC and keeps the car very cool at outside temps up to the low 90s. Maybe BMW AC units are undersized? I will keep an eye on it when I get it redelivered in NY. I'm not sure that there's much that can be done, but I will take it in for service if this continues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe my car is different :dunno: When I don't have the AC on I make sure that the air recirculation is still set and not on auto. With this I have no heat from outside coming in. If i leave it on auto or off I will fell the heat. I thought this was the whole point of recirculation :dunno:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hot Air

Was this during day or night? Seems like for me the sun cooking the black dash heats the ducts. I run the A/C for a few minutes to cool the ducts and then switch the A/C off. The vents then seem to blow outside-air temps (at least at night). During the day, the sun baking the dash will eventually heat the ducts back up and you get hot air again.
I notice the hot air blowing after the car has been run and then sits, even up to a couple of hours unless it is really cool out. This happens even if I park the car in the garage which is why I think the engine heat warms the air ducts. If the car is already hot inside, I never put it on recirc. Running the A/C for a few minutes helps.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I've had a chance to try the car with recirculation off and on, and it's still the same. I'm with ajfinoak on this. The warm air is due to the design of the car. I don't think that it is a problem that can be corrected, except by redesigning the car. I'm sure in the winter, I'm going to like this feature, but in the summer I'm using the AC more than I would normally would. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also forgot to mention using the air recirculation button. That can make a big difference as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts