BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Warning from BMW.

1387 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  kd2789mo
I came across this message on the BMWCA web site.
Thought I'd post it in this forum as well, just in case.

NEW CRIMINAL SCAM INVOLVING BMW.

"BMW Group Canada would like to take this opportunity, as a matter of public awareness, to inform you of a criminal scam that is using "BMW" as a lure. It is targeting BMW customers/prospects and the general public in both Canada and the United States. This is a very elaborate scheme whose purpose is to illegally obtain funds and/or information from unsuspecting persons (or for other illegal purposes).

The scam operates as follows:

You are contacted via email, a flyer (placed on your windshield), or word of mouth
You will be asked to complete a survey for a chance to win a BMW 5 Series
Every completed survey submitted is a "winner"
A "winning" entry and conditions for claiming the "prize" are provided via email; the email subject line reads: "CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU HAVE WON YOURSELF AN EVOLUTION 5"
You will be asked to provide the sum of $5,000.00 US (amounts can vary) for shipping and handling which must be paid within a week of receiving the email
A follow up email is sent to confirm your mailing address (for "shipping" purposes) and request the preferable method of payment for the $5,000.00 US "subsidized" shipping and handling fee
No "prize" is given and your money disappears

As a consumer, you need to be aware that you should never have to send money in respect of a contest prize. Requests for payments are a "red flag" and should be reported to the police.

Please note that BMW is cooperating with fraud investigators and are attempting to gather as much information as possible to assist them in their investigation. If you have any information on the scam, please contact us. Anyone who has received this particular solicitation or who has been scammed for money should contact the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Phone Busters group at 1-888-495-8501 or send an email to [email protected]. Overseas calls should be directed to 705-495-8501.

Thank you for your co-operation."
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
If anyone falls for that...

they deserve to lose their money.
lol...kinda true...i mean wouldn't they check with a dealership or someoen before wiring 5k off to some distant place?
Rmart said:
they deserve to lose their money.
Who said it was a far off place?

Though it is easy for us to laugh at those that have been taken some of these scams are very well done.

Granted, you'd think some due diligence is in order when sending off $5K. I think a big red flag for me would be how the money was sent. If it was Western Union then yeah, I would be afraid :).

I just can't see someone getting taken and "deserving it". How did they deserve it?

James.
BMWenthusiast said:
lol...kinda true...i mean wouldn't they check with a dealership or someoen before wiring 5k off to some distant place?
One word: Greed. Like most successful scams, this one depends upon the lust of the victim to make sure a blind eye is turned towards all the red flags because they are too busy salivating over a big payoff.

However, I'm not saying that these A-hole dirt bags who run these cons should be allowed to get away with it. Penalties should be as severe as violent crimes in my opinion.

--J.
James said:
I just can't see someone getting taken and "deserving it". How did they deserve it?
Point taken.

James.
JonathanIT said:
One word: Greed.
"Congratulations. You have won a sucker contest. Please wire $5,000 US by Western Union to 'Bill' in Nigeria. You will receive your 'prize' shortly thereafter."
That is what I would call a poorly run scam :)

James.
swchang said:
"Congratulations. You have won a sucker contest. Please wire $5,000 US by Western Union to 'Bill' in Nigeria. You will receive your 'prize' shortly thereafter."
Yessss....what flavor did I win??
is PayPal ok?
swchang said:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.