BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My warning light just came on that the oil is low and I need to add 1 quart.

When I for home and opened the hood it was a bit dirty from the trip up to the Lake this weekend.... And not sure what this is but it had fluid on it as you can see..... This is down behind the right headlight

Anyone have thoughts? With BMW service closed tomorrow I will let it sit for the day and take it over first thing Monday morning to have it looked at..... Just figured I would try and educate myself alittle on what the issue could be invade they tell me it's nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,231 Posts
Does your E70 motor have a dip stick? They are generally more reliable and informative than the iDrive display.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your E70 motor have a dip stick? They are generally more reliable and informative than the iDrive display.
I haven't looked and will do that shortly as I just got home and took a quick look to see if there was anything major showing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked again and I didn't see a dip stick anywhere visible unless it's hidden very well.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,231 Posts
If you will tell us rather more precisely which X5 and/or motor you have then some one may be able to be more helpful.

Mine has a dip stick that is not at all obvious.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do not have a dipstick. It could be oil filter housing gasket.
Should I put some oil in it before taking it to the dealer to be safe?

And if so what type of oil should I put in it??

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,280 Posts
you should not mix oils. Unless you will be doing an oil change in the next few hundred miles.

You should always have a quart or two of spare oil, in the ar or in your garage...

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Should I put some oil in it before taking it to the dealer to be safe?

And if so what type of oil should I put in it??

Who did your last oil change? If it is BMW dealer, go and buy two liters of BMW oil 5W30 (it should say in the back that it meets BMW LL-01 standard).
Add half liter and drive a bit and see whether warning goes off and level indicator showed more. Then add rest. If you are not close to dealer, and dealer changed oil, go to local Auto Zone and buy Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. That oil has most similar base stocks and additives to BMW oil (BMW is made by Shell which is Pennzoil). If you do not have AZ or AAP, go get Castrol 0W40 in local Wal mart.
For the future. Your car is gasser, so you need oil that meets BMW LL-01 specification!
If you see BMW LL-04 that is for diesel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who did your last oil change? If it is BMW dealer, go and buy two liters of BMW oil 5W30 (it should say in the back that it meets BMW LL-01 standard).
Add half liter and drive a bit and see whether warning goes off and level indicator showed more. Then add rest. If you are not close to dealer, and dealer changed oil, go to local Auto Zone and buy Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. That oil has most similar base stocks and additives to BMW oil (BMW is made by Shell which is Pennzoil). If you do not have AZ or AAP, go get Castrol 0W40 in local Wal mart.
For the future. Your car is gasser, so you need oil that meets BMW LL-01 specification!
If you see BMW LL-04 that is for diesel.
The BMW dealership did the oil change in the past couple months.
I am not sure the service department will be open tomorrow (Sunday). But I will swing by and see if I can get something from them.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
The BMW dealership did the oil change in the past couple months.
I am not sure the service department will be open tomorrow (Sunday). But I will swing by and see if I can get something from them.

When I said "add res" I meant rest in that 1 liter bottle. Second bottle keep in trunk for emergency.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After letting it sit all night and waking up, the oil reading now sits at half way and there is no errors. So I didn't put any oil in it which I did odd.
I drove it around this morning about 15 miles and it still reads half way.

Still going to take it into BMW tomorrow and see what's going on.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
After letting it sit all night and waking up, the oil reading now sits at half way and there is no errors. So I didn't put any oil in it which I did odd.
I drove it around this morning about 15 miles and it still reads half way.

Still going to take it into BMW tomorrow and see what's going on.

It is floating between min and half. When I change oil I never put 7.3ltrs. I put 7 ltr, crank on, add bit and then add as necessary. Sometimes it would show max sometimes 3/4 between min and max.
I would say add 1/4 of bottle just in case.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,280 Posts
My 2010 had an oil level sensor go bad..... just FYI. You may not have an oil level issue, it may be a sensor issue.

I know...impossible. All because they took out a dipstick

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone have an idea what that is in the pic with the fluid on it? Could it just be water from the AC?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts