BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a used 2007 328xi with 50k miles. One previous owner. Very clean. Extended warranty via CarMax.

I've had it 2 days. Just realized that the orange triangle with the Exclamation Mark (!) is on. Its located next to the D when in Drive. But I dont have an other alarms or warnings. Im confused as to what I need to do. It runs fine. The warning appears to be very generic. See my attached screen cap example (not my car but you get the idea)

I don't have the official BWM owners manuals yet.

Should I take it to the dealer?

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,933 Posts
.pdf owner's manuals are available on BMW's website. The warning means the computer has "thrown a code". It could be anything. Something as small as the computer thinking a light bulb is out when it really isn't. If it doesn't go away in a day or two you might want to stop by Autozone or someplace and get the codes read.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
With the vehicle on, toggle the dial on the indicator stalk until the display shows Check Control. Press the BC button and it will tell you what item needs attention.

The small triangle exclamation is just a general indicator telling there's something in the Check control you should be aware of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys

I have the goLink iPhone app and a corresponding goLink USB service cable for diagnostics. I have used it on a Honda Element and a PT Cruiser before, but Im afraid to hook it up to a BMW. I wasn't are the pinouts are the same for European cars or not.

I tried to download the PDF manuals for my 2007 328xi but the USA site for my specific downloads is unavailable right now.

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
That indicator is telling you that something on your car needs routine service. (Oil Change, brake pads, etc) You can check those directly in the car with iDrive or using the stalk on the steering wheel. See your owners manual on how to do that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
There was a link on this website that had a clear image of all those symbols, just try searching

·
Registered
601 Posts
it could even be that your low on wiper fluid, that's why mine is on today.

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
it could even be that your low on wiper fluid, that's why mine is on today.
It could be an array of things. We won't know until we see the main symbol that comes up when he turns on his car in the little cluster that's above the cluster in his picture.

·
rather be on the water
36 Posts
We are having that problem in my wife's 335 but when I go thru check control it just brings up the tri/! icon with the P in park..no snowflake no nothing. She reset the clock the other day..could that have done something? Oil is good.washer fluid etc...we don't have a manual btw

Thx...clueless

·
Registered
404 Posts
.pdf owner's manuals are available on BMW's website.
we don't have a manual btw
PDF manuals are still available on BMW's website. http://bit.ly/ArmkDL :D

As to your issue; if there are absolutely no other indicators showing when you turn on the car and there's nothing showing in Check Control you're probably going to have to get the codes pulled as above. Changing the clock might have triggered a time-based item like oil change or inspection if you changed the month/year as well as the time, but unlikely just adjusting the time to be correct would do anything. Plus if it were one of those it'd show in check control.

It might be helpful if you'd post pictures of what you're seeing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts