BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow BMW Drivers,

I took my 2004 7 to an Indy shop in Southeastern Michigan for an oil Leak. They told me I needed to replace both head gaskets and more. $1,400 dollars and 8 hours labor! I took the car to another shop and had a $40 oil leak test and it was not the Head gasket. It turns out in was the Vacuum Pump and the part and labor at the dealer is only $850

Guys and Gals we drive BMW's and shops assume we will pay out the A$$ for repairs! False!

Get a second opinion even if you trust the shop! I trusted this shop and their techs and look at what happened.

To all a good day and enjoy your BMW's and I will!

735i 237,000 1988
745Li 100,157 2004

·
Little Odessa
1,275 Posts
They all lairs,all!!!!!, and on our cars it makes very easy for them because not so many indy shops working on it beside dealers. I know cars very well, I am diy all my cars all the time and I was [email protected], problem $400 become $1000, at least they change new parts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I feel you man. I almost got scammed fixing up my 7 once. After they fixed my dent from a crash, they said I will need to pay another $1000+ for removing the bumper for a simple 10 minute re-paint. Glad I didn't buy into that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the first shop was wrong and got a third opinion it was the vaccuum pump! no more leaks. fixed at the deal 800 bucks parts and labor!

·
Banned
3,059 Posts
I've been trying to relay the same message across bro. Indy got me for $1,300-$1,400 in repairs which was PROMISED in writing to be about $400. A lot of shyt took place, even "21 bolts holding the transmission pan were stripped. We had to PRY them OUT". Give me a fcken break, I was HAD for my wallet at BIMMEX in TORONTO!!

I encourage bros to be more active in forums such as this. The knowledge learned here is priceless. Once you have an idea of what it is, do it yourself! Buy the part online cheap (1/5 of BMW's price) and do it yourself, it's really no rocket science behind it. Otherwise, agreed- get a second opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to agree. I had some work done on my car yesterday. I had a leak in the coolant expansion tank, that I epoxied. Well the short of the story is that the tank failed while the shop had it. So I asked the how much to replace it. I hear $295. Ok the part is $75. So why $295 I ask, there are only 2 screws that hold it on, 3 hoses with quick disconnect fittings and a sensor connector. So I told them that I would get a new tank and install it myself. Even with overnight AM delivery the tank cost me around $93 and I installed it in 5 minutes myself in the shops parking lot. Saved $200 bucks!!!!

·
Banned
3,059 Posts
I was quoted $795 for mass air flow sensor replacement, part and labor :eeps:

I bought a used one with 1 yr warranty for $175

A new one for $300

and replacement is less than 180 seconds :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was charged £20 :yikes: for a angel light, and was told it would cost £270 :eek: to fit it... they said Bumper needs to come off, etc etc... :confused:

Did it myself, half an hour to slacken off headlight unit, pushed forward to get at bulb and with a bit of a struggle replaced with new (£20) :mad: Bulb... it turns out it is just an ordinary capsule type of bulb stuck in a plastic holder.... I keep the old one and cut out the old bulb, stick in a new one and save for the next time it needs changing. :thumbup:

These dealerships are only used to dealing with swaggering rich boys, and Girls who couldn't even be bothered to do their own repairs, theyt haven't the sense to know how much they are being taken for a ride.

The next one was two bottom wishbones that they wanted £460 PLUS fitting at £75 per hour.
I bought on line... Genuine replacements for £120 the pair, and fitted them in one hour 15 minutes... 2 NUTS to cut off and 2 bolts and a little bar to remove.... Ho and of course you need to jack up and take the wheels off too....:rofl::rofl: Job Done...:thumbup:

Pete

PS, I also got the bonus of having the old ones for my scrap box....;) ALUMINIUM.... or ALUMINUM :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts