BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can a front rotor that is possibly warped, get hot enough set off the abs sensor and cause a trifecta on the dash?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Anything is possible but this is fairly unlikely. First, rotors rarely warp. Unless you have firm evidence of warpage, braking pulsations are usually due to deposits on the rotor. Second, the trifecta is a fairly common problem and usually due to other reasons. If you have a melted ABS sensor then you might be on to something, but again, this is unlikely. Explore the likely before spending time & $ investigating the unlikely.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason i brought this up is because at low speeds 10-15 mph it feels like the rotor is rubbing the brake pad in a circular motion. At higher speeds 70-80 it feels like a pulsating feeling from a rotor. When i park the car and turn it off i hear a slight thud coming from the right side, from it cooling. I kicked the wheel on each side and on one side i hear a sizzling noise from the snow on my boot hitting the rotor. I just recently replaced my front control arms and thrust arms, so i know for a fact its not coming from the suspension.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
First, rotors rarely warp..
+1

To the OP, we've discussed the myth of warped rotors so many times on this forum that I will simply refer you to the some background articles found by typing /warp f3 in the bestlinks .....

Articles discussing the myth of warped brake rotors:
- Avoiding Brake Judder at the Track, by Dave Zeckhausen
- Brake Rotor Shake Demystified, by Dali Racing
- The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System, by Carroll Smith
- 8 Myths ... Holding You Back from Performing the Best Brake Job, by Andrew Markel
- Brake Roughness and Vibration: Causes & Solutions, by Dave Mann
- There's no such thing as 'warped' brake rotors, by Michael Block
- Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp, by Police Fleet Manager Magazine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.