BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a warranty provider for extending coverage beyond 7 years on a 2013 BMW 550i?

These cars have some really expensive fixes, so I know it won't be cheap, but I am looking for a minimum of engine and drivetrain, but would prefer bumper to bumper.
I would want to use it at the repair center of my choice (right now, a BMW dealership), and it must replace covered parts with new OEM parts.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,201 Posts
Pretty specific, have you called any?
There is a lot of good threads here recommending Route 66.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't worry about warranties at all because I go through them so quickly. I don't view 100k miles to be high miles on a car at all because that represents a little under 2 years of driving for me. I drive around 1k miles per week, mostly highway miles.

My 2014 535d (bought new in 2013) is only at 119k miles. My 2012 X5 35d (CPO at 52k miles in 2014) is only at 210k miles and climbing. I am the only driver of my cars (wife doesn't drive) and I split the miles up between them. Both cars have been very reliable because I drive them frequently instead of being garage queens. Both cars are long term keepers and won't be for sale anytime soon. With my 1k miles per week of driving, I am into my cars for the long haul. An occasional expensive repair is no big deal. "Cheaper to keep 'er" applies.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm right around 75k or so, so anoither 25k only gets me 2 or so years...eh, maybe that will be enough to get me through to my next car.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't worry about warranties at all because I go through them so quickly. I don't view 100k miles to be high miles on a car at all because that represents a little under 2 years of driving for me. I drive around 1k miles per week, mostly highway miles.

My 2014 535d (bought new in 2013) is only at 119k miles. My 2012 X5 35d (CPO at 52k miles in 2014) is only at 210k miles and climbing. I am the only driver of my cars (wife doesn't drive) and I split the miles up between them. Both cars are long term keepers and won't be for sale anytime soon. With my 1k miles per week of driving, I am into my cars for the long haul. An occasional expensive repair is no big deal and way less expensive than replacing the car.

considering I just had over 2k in non-covered work, and about 4k in covered work, I like having a warranty.

In my experience, BMWs and Fords always need an extended warranty, because when something does go wrong, it's usually expensive.

·
Registered
275 Posts

My 2014 535d (bought new in 2013) is only at 119k miles. My 2012 X5 35d (CPO at 52k miles in 2014) is only at 210k miles and climbing. I am the only driver of my cars (wife doesn't drive) and I split the miles up between them. Both cars have been very reliable because I drive them frequently instead of being garage queens. Both cars are long term keepers and won't be for sale anytime soon. With my 1k miles per week of driving, I am into my cars for the long haul. An occasional expensive repair is no big deal. "Cheaper to keep 'er" applies.

Wow, Lyft? Uber?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Wow, Lyft? Uber?

100 miles per day commuting on the highway (50 miles each way) plus a few hundred miles as part of having a life outside of work.

No Lyft or Uber. I'm an Electrical Engineer. I go where the high tech work is and live where I want to live.

My BMWs have been very reliable. My long highway commute and spirited driving might have something to do with it. Both cars are driven frequently instead of sitting around unused. Atrophy from long periods of non-use can lead to problems later on. Highway miles are easy miles on a car and are the best kind of miles to put on any car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
100 miles per day commuting on the highway (50 miles each way) plus a few hundred miles as part of having a life outside of work.

No Lyft or Uber. I'm an Electrical Engineer. I go where the high tech work is and live where I want to live.

My BMWs have been very reliable. My long highway commute and spirited driving might have something to do with it. Both cars are driven frequently instead of sitting around unused. Atrophy from long periods of non-use can lead to problems later on. Highway miles are easy miles on a car and are the best kind of miles to put on any car.

It sounds cool! I don't actually know the bmw diesel engine reliability. The only thing I 've heard about it is DPF recall due to fire. However, I believe your highway driving wouldn't cause that problem. If you are not aware of it, please get it checked. It seems that they're replacing it to the upgraded part.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It sounds cool! I don't actually know the bmw diesel engine reliability. The only thing I 've heard about it is DPF recall due to fire. However, I believe your highway driving wouldn't cause that problem. If you are not aware of it, please get it checked. It seems that they're replacing it to the upgraded part.

I have not heard of any DPF fires. I know for a fact that regenerations are occurring normally because I check it regularly with the Carly app. Ash loading is up to 79g so I eventually will have to do something about the DPF.

The M57 diesel engine is rock solid. The emissions controls, not so much.

I'm not worried about warranties because I'm already way past the point where extending warranties are worth it or even possible.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have not heard of any DPF fires. I know for a fact that regenerations are occurring normally because I check it regularly with the Carly app. Ash loading is up to 79g so I eventually will have to do something about the DPF.

I'm not worried about warranties because I'm already way past the point where extending warranties are worth it or even possible.

Yep that's why I said you should be fine. Since you drive highway, regeneration happens often when it needs. I'm pretty sure it's under recall. You have nothing to lose on upgrading it. Plus, it's going to be a brand new

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,201 Posts

Wait, wasn't your question exactly about this?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait, wasn't your question exactly about this?
no, my post was exactly about this.

my mileage is a bit high, but I can split it with my F350. I would normally be about 10k less mileage less, but I've had to make about 5 unanticipated solo runs to Chicago, and my 550 is a whole lot better to drive solo than an F350 is.

That said, still want to get good coverage because my experience with high mileage cars, and keeping them in full working condition, is that things will go wrong, and on a bmw, that's expensive

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,201 Posts
Seems you answered your own question in your own post.
If you want to drop the word play it seems Route66 is highly favored on this forum.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I've been looking into them and a few others. I appreciate all the advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts