BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,879 Posts
[ ... ]Am I entitled to an inspection per the SIB? [ ... ]
I used the warranty extension letter and SIB as rationale to visit a new to me dealership for a no charge inspection. I expect the DS to be inspected at every BMW visit. I expect BMW to come down hard on the last inspector previous to a catastrophic failure, and $20K is catastrophic.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I used the warranty extension letter and SIB as rationale to visit a new to me dealership for a no charge inspection. I expect the DS to be inspected at every BMW visit. I expect BMW to come down hard on the last inspector previous to a catastrophic failure, and $20K is catastrophic.
I used the exact same documents. It's my SA that blocked the request. On top of this, my X5 was in the shop for a separate warranty repair issue and a routine maintenance item. So, it's not like they are incurring much more additional fixed cost for accepting my car into the shop. Hmm..I've never been happy with my SA, he's a PITA. It's the same SA that insisted there was no "CPO Warranty Brochure" for my car. I kept prodding until he produced the legacy brochure used back in 2014 when the car got tagged with CPO. I had to bring up consumer rights laws for him to produce this.

I would be livid if my DS fails this weekend on my trip down to Santa Cruz. It's one thing to request an inspection and for them to find nothing, but it's another thing to even refuse to inspect it and go against a legitimate safety concern and a SIB and a letter from BMWNA.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
... I expect the DS to be inspected at every BMW visit. I expect BMW to come down hard on the last inspector previous to a catastrophic failure, and $20K is catastrophic.
Keep wishing ... each dealer is independently owned and as such make decisions where and how to spend their man-hours. Warranty work does not pay at their hourly labor rate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did the Indy inspection routine (no charge, good guys:thumbup:) and while on their lift I took photos. Those photos are posted on this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733249&highlight=driveshaft+fail see post 119 and 133.

My Indy thought the driveshaft was fine. At a follow-up dealer visit I brought the photo showing some grease on the front u-joint, the warranty letter, and my expressed concerns to my SA. This resulted in an inspection and driveshaft replacement. The dealer service inspection showed the shaft needed to be replaced and the paperwork indicated "Front Drive Shaft is leaking grease and making noise under engine load, replaced the front drive shaft Extended Coverage 10 years 120k Miles SI B01 15 15". I had not mentioned "noise under load", that was added by the tech as a result of the inspection.

Now, I really believe the SA also pushed for replacement. And I am OK with that:thumbup: From the dealer perspective, this is work and they are compensated by BMW, SO WHY NOT JUST DO IT? Help them justify the work, show that you are concerned; that is the route I took.

The cost of one failed driveshaft is in the 10-15k range. For that price BMW can replace 25-40 undamaged driveshafts. There must be a bean counter somewhere doing the fuzzy math:dunno:

·
Registered
30 Posts
If what PAX5 says is true (something I didn't know) about warranty work not paying the same rate, it would make sense to have push back from SA's and dealerships. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes, had it inspected twice. The main one was when I did the N63 recall work and it inspected just fine. Several months later, I had them check again when getting some work done and no issues. They explained to me on Friday they can't really check anything on the drive shaft without taking it apart, which they don't do. . . .
This is what I was worried about . . . inspection is visual and highly dependent on the tech's skills . . . paying a trusted Indy is better but still not foolproof . . . as your Dealer Tech said - they can only do what BMW tells them and without taking it apart you can never be really sure.

Out of curiosity I did a quick price check on the P/N 26208605866 DRIVE SHAFT ASSY FRONT . . . saw some online prices around $600 . . . add labor and other ancillary parts this job at an Indy is probably close to $1,000

I'm not sure that is the case - do you know if Bellevue inspected per SIB 26 01 14 (attached), . . . My takeaway was that the tech doing the "inspection" is likely unaware/ignorant of this SIB.
Interestingly my tech mentions he used the SIB to check but did not include the SIB number . . . I am going to follow up to see if they did actually follow the correct SIB.

I used the warranty extension letter and SIB as rationale to visit a new to me dealership for a no charge inspection. I expect the DS to be inspected at every BMW visit. . . . .
I doubt dealer will inspect it every time when the car comes in . . . SIB (attached) clearly states this inspection to be performed only once . . . sure defies logic . . . what happens if there is grease splatter after the first inspection . . .

Since I was planning to keep the car well beyond 120,000 miles (already close to 100,000 miles) I was wondering if I should just go ahead incur the cost and replace this shaft and not risk it . . . past 120,000 miles I have zero cover and at that point a $20K repair would make zero sense . . . when viewed that way the $800-$1,000 doesn't seem that expensive . . .

BTW does anyone have the 673 sticker on their B-pillar mentioned in the attached SIB? I don't have it . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wanted to give an update. Went back last Friday to pick up the car. Exactly 2 weeks after the failure. Not bad considering everything they had to replace, but if you are going through a lot of these failures and have most everything in stock, maybe it is normal.

First off, they said they put 50 miles on the car to ensure everything was proper. When I picked it up, there were heavy grease marks, dirty hand prints, and some scratches around the hood area. Obviously did not use an engine mat. It took me 1 block to realize the steering was out of alignment, with the steering wheel being off to the right and pulling right. Within 2 miles of driving, the low coolant engine light turned on. I called my SA after my 4 mile drive back to my office and he said it is probably air in the hoses and should be fine. Sure. A bit of a concern with the 90 degree temperatures in Seattle last weekend.

Within 3 miles of driving home on I90, the high temperature alarms and warnings started going off. Within 2 more miles, my engine went into shutdown mode. Once again, in rush hour traffic on a Friday. Pull over, wait 15 minutes for the temperature to go down, get another 2 miles, rinse repeat, etc. Finally had to get off the freeway and get picked up. Had to tow it back to BMW. Turns out, a coolant line came off and I had no coolant in the engine.

Having a hard time believing they can test it for 50 miles and within 2 miles of driving the car I was having problems. Add to list getting towed twice in 2 weeks, missing kids soccer games and other important events, alignment having to be redone, grease and scratches on car, wasting several hours of my time, it has been really fun. Oh, and I have to wait a few weeks to get reimbursed from BMW for my tow bill. They changed their policy and won't let the dealership handle this directly with the customer. So now I have to fill out info on my ownership and submit paperwork to BMW and wait. BMW corporate doesn't seem too concerned about customers experience. It is obviously a warranty item. Why make the customer jump through hoops rather than just deal directly with the dealership? Next thing you know, I will have to shell out $20k for the repair, submit all receipts, and wait a month or two for reimbursement. Makes no sense.

All of my paperwork on this repair has been zeroed out. No idea on the cost, but was told it was roughly $20k for the full repair. Add another $1k to the bill with their latest screw ups. Not the experience I was hoping for with my 4th BMW. Planning on 2 new cars within the next year and having an even harder time justifying staying with this brand with the lack of customer service corporate is giving. They just don't seem to get it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I got my car reinspected at no charge . . . bmwx5er had posted the actual SIB which showed my car was inspected against an older version of the same SIB . . . dealer agreed to reinspect it . . . . still no signs of unusual wear, excess radial play or corrosion . . . here is my post with more details . . .

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was very confused with the coverage of the SIB and the extended warranty letter. The SIB says the inspection is needed for cars produced between April 2010- January 2011. My 2012 car received the extended warranty letter. I took the letter to imply that my car is subject to the defect. The draftshaft in question is also the "outgoing" driveshaft.

Upon my insistence, my dealer inspected my driveshaft and noted no known issues per the instructions of the SIB. They also noted that my car's inspection was not mandated by the SIB, which is true, but they did it anyways.

So I guess it appears, 2012 models have the old driveshaft but may not be affected or at least doesn't need an immediate inspection, but is nevertheless covered under the extended parts warranty.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,879 Posts
I believe the value in the letter is the coverage of consequent damages on BMW's admission of liability for the propellor shaft.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I was very confused with the coverage of the SIB and the extended warranty letter. The SIB says the inspection is needed for cars produced between April 2010- January 2011. My 2012 car received the extended warranty letter. I took the letter to imply that my car is subject to the defect. The draftshaft in question is also the "outgoing" driveshaft.

Upon my insistence, my dealer inspected my driveshaft and noted no known issues per the instructions of the SIB. They also noted that my car's inspection was not mandated by the SIB, which is true, but they did it anyways.

So I guess it appears, 2012 models have the old driveshaft but may not be affected or at least doesn't need an immediate inspection, but is nevertheless covered under the extended parts warranty.
There is only one acceptable answer to this if you have the "old" driveshaft: REPLACE it!

·
Prof. of Pending Projects
371 Posts

2012 here and I requested inspection... After inspection, they replaced it under warranty.

·
Prof. of Pending Projects
371 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I always hate to see this thread and the other driveshaft threads! Too many stories of this castastrophic event. I do believe there are dealerships that will make the inspection and repair, seek them out.:thumbup:

·
Nuclear engineer
18,879 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
"Again, there have been no reported incidents of this happening [drive shaft failure] and BMW's quality-control brought this issue to light"

Seriously?

141 - 160 of 190 Posts