BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
"CPO" means different things for different car manufactures. You always need to make sure to ask what's covered and what not. Some will only cover the powertrain and in very rare cases, it covers the car bumper-to-bumper. BMW's CPO program does not cover electronics.

From their website (what's not covered)

"Accessories
Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems; non-original equipment parts, components or accessories."

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty/NotCovered.aspx

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Didnt you just get like 16k done in work sunny? lol We all on the same boat sometimes you have malfunctions and most of the time not i been kinda lucky had a headlight replaced ask unit, speakers, passanger massage module, washer fluid pump not bad for almost 3years of ownership. Could be worse could be better.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i am hoping for more malfunctions before warranty is up especially the trans.But it seems like like closer you get to expiration the less problems you have.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
fyi - i was just quoted $2790 for an additional 6yr/ (or odometer up to 75k) for extended warranty for my '04 745li. my 7ser currently has 22k miles. i put maybe 6k miles per year on my cars so the long duration and low mileage combo of the policy works best for me. i will hit the 6 year mark before it hits 75k on the odometer. the policy is also transferable in case i decide to sell it. policy is with mercury insurance (via www.autowarrantybroker.com). it is a bumper to bumper exclusionary policy so all is covered except the following (which is a pretty big list-many which are similar to buying CPO). i'll probably pick it up.

2. THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS ARE SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED: AUDIO SPEAKERS; BATTERIES; BODY PANELS; BODY SEALS; BUMPERS; CABLES; CARPETING; CHASSIS; CLAMPS; FASTENERS ( I.E. , NUTS, BOLTS, CLIPS, ETC. UNLESS REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED REPAIR); CONVERTIBLE TOPS AND THEIR MECHANISMS; EXHAUST AND EMISSION SYSTEM COMPONENTS; GASOLINE FUEL INJECTORS THAT DO NOT HAVE AN ELECTRICAL FAILURE; GLASS; INSULATION; HOSES; LINES AND FITTINGS (EXCEPT BRAKE LINES AND FITTINGS); MIRRORS; MANUAL CLUTCH COMPONENTS; PAINT; PASSENGER RESTRAINT SYSTEM; SEATS; SECONDARY IGNITION COMPONENTS; SOFT TRIM/MOLDINGS OR APPEARANCE ITEMS; SUSPENSION SPRINGS; TELEPHONES; TORSION BARS; UPHOLSTERY; WEATHER STRIPPING; WHEEL LUG NUTS/STUDS; WHEELS; WHEEL COVERS; INTERNET COMPUTER; NAVIGATION SYSTEM (this can be covered for an additional $250); VIDEO COMPONENTS; HEADSUP DISPLAY, AND NIGHT VISION SYSTEMS.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
^^^by the way - $0 deductible and no limit on claims/visits to dealer. basically breaks down to $40 month which i think is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I know that price sounds good diz but it just seems like there is alot of parts not covered especially the speakers i made sure i found one that did cover speakers ( its important to me since i replaced like four) but what they mean by internet computer does that mean the cars main computer? Price is cheap but coverage seems like you gonna get a huge repair thats not gonna be covered then you gonna say for bout 1k more i could got something better. just my .02

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
honestly, the speakers mean nothing to me. i'm concerned with transmission, engine, steering components, electrical and ignition components.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
true but does that cover components such as a motor for the power seats etc. , stuff like that cause those can be expensive repairs as well

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
power seats, heated/cooled/massage seats are NOT covered. however, i am really looking to cover the main problems, especially the problems i have read about repeatedly on this forum. this policy is from mercury (huge company) and its their platinum (best) coverage. when i go to the dealer, i won't be paying out of my pocket and crossing my fingers to get reimbursed by joe schmoe insurance company 4 months later. i show them the mercury card and they take care of it. please send me info on other exclusionary policies that do cover the items you mentioned above (seats/speakers/and other items on the list of whats not covered on the policy i listed above) thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
mercury is a good company my brother has that on his s55 and they did cover a clutch kit for 2500 no questions asked. I bought mine from access waranty which sells for royal. looking at the contract i bought the one that says royal new oem glancing threw it does cover power seat motors and switch. Mine is an exclusionary whci does not cover the following brakes,light bulbs,upholestry,cellular tellephones, exhaust, moldings, then it says anti theft systems, radio speaker equipment when not installed by the manufacturer. Paid 4100 for 4year/100k including gps coverage.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
power seats, heated/cooled/massage seats are NOT covered. however, i am really looking to cover the main problems, especially the problems i have read about repeatedly on this forum. this policy is from mercury (huge company) and its their platinum (best) coverage. when i go to the dealer, i won't be paying out of my pocket and crossing my fingers to get reimbursed by joe schmoe insurance company 4 months later. i show them the mercury card and they take care of it. please send me info on other exclusionary policies that do cover the items you mentioned above (seats/speakers/and other items on the list of whats not covered on the policy i listed above) thanks
I asked the guy and he said it doesn't cover the upolstery but would cover the power aspect of the seats

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I asked the guy and he said it doesn't cover the upolstery but would cover the power aspect of the seats
i'll call again tomorrow and confirm. rep told me today none of the heat/cool massage functions were covered. i got the feeling he meant all power aspects of the seats.

thanks johndade - i will give access a call and do a comparison as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I spoke with Mercury rep, I was told they would replace components of the seats. But if the seat could not be fixed without replacing the whole seat then it would not be covered. If you purchase the Special Electronics option of the Platinum plan that covers navigation, night vision, video components including TV/VCR/DVD/Video Game Player. Manufactured installed only.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I know that price sounds good diz but it just seems like there is alot of parts not covered especially the speakers i made sure i found one that did cover speakers ( its important to me since i replaced like four) but what they mean by internet computer does that mean the cars main computer? Price is cheap but coverage seems like you gonna get a huge repair thats not gonna be covered then you gonna say for bout 1k more i could got something better. just my .02
so i called accesswarranty.com and here is what they had to offer.
1) 5yr/or up to 60k on the odometer compared with 6yr/upt to 75k from autowarrantybroker.com
2) initially quoted me $3180 + addtl $300 for nav/speakers) = $3480. johndade, you might want to make sure you had this added because it does not automatically come with the policy. anyway, bottom line he said he would throw in nav/speakers for free if i signed up today and knock off $100 cause i was paying all at once (no payment plan). thus the total was $3080 out the door.
3) heres the biggie. - $100 deductible for each visit.
4)conclusion - with autowarrantybroker.com, i can get the identical coverage w/ longer term (6yr/75k), no deductible, for just under $3k. Both policies are comparable but one has the slight edge.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
that is close diz but was he quoting the new oem exlusionary one cause if he did the speakers are included if they are manufacturer, i called today just to confirm and speakers and cd changer player are covered i also asked bout the heated seat massage seat and the massager on the seat are also covered the tcu for the phone isnt covered. i called the administrator not the selling agent since there are the ones that pay the bill. Mine is a little older then yours so that could be y i paid more plus mine will take me to 100k i bought it when i had 50k on it. So all in all pretty close on the coverage.

·
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
345 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with companies other than Access Warranty and Auto Warranty Broker? Please list your company and your experiences.

Doing a google on "extended auto warranty ratings" brings up a bunch of pseudo-reviews that are actually shills for the sellers themselves.

Honest opinions are valuable and hard to come by...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
that is close diz but was he quoting the new oem exlusionary one cause if he did the speakers are included if they are manufacturer, i called today just to confirm and speakers and cd changer player are covered i also asked bout the heated seat massage seat and the massager on the seat are also covered the tcu for the phone isnt covered. i called the administrator not the selling agent since there are the ones that pay the bill. Mine is a little older then yours so that could be y i paid more plus mine will take me to 100k i bought it when i had 50k on it. So all in all pretty close on the coverage.
very comparable policy. what really sold me was the 3day/2 nights at a Wyndham hotel in 25 marvelous locations. :rofl: price is definitely affected by # of miles on the car when you initially sign up. for some reason, they believe a lower mileage 7ser is less prone to having problems. little do they know. LOL

21 - 40 of 46 Posts