BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was browsing the ETK, and noticed that several interior lights use "Xenon bulbs"...

The list bulb type for the C pillar reading lights and the front map lights is a "6w xenon bulb". I didn't know that such a thing existed-- I guess it could just be like any fluorescent bulb. If so, these lights should last a long time. Good job, BMW. I'm not kidding-- and I re-read the line several times, because I didn't believe it.

I should post this over at fanatics-- they'd probably REALLY get a kick out of knowing that their cars have xenon interior lights. I can see the "retrofit kits" for Integras and Civics... :lmao:

·
10,856 Posts
Xenon is a halogen. :p There are a lot of xenon based halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Xenon is a halogen. :p There are a lot of xenon based halogen bulbs.
True. :eek:

Its still kind of cool that they use halogen bulbs for the interior lights.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Just one quick warning: Do NOT use 10w bulbs in interior fixtures made for 5w bulbs. The 10w fixtures work fine with 10w bulbs. the 5w ones (eg. front footwell lights) will start to melt.

I think I need to retrofit 10w fixtures into the footwells. :D

·
10,856 Posts
I have to wonder if you know this from personal experience, Kaz.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just a quick FYI. Xenon is not a halogen but a "noble" gas (very inert). Halogens are chlorine, bromine (solid), iodine (also a solid) and a couple more. Halogen bulbs might (or might not, I'm not sure) carry a mixture of a halogen gas (like chlorine) and an inert gas (like xenon or argon). They need to have at least the halogen gas to behave like a halogen bulb.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
:eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Originally posted by Kaz
:eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know the bulbs cost about $45.00 ea!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
hhhaha. Mercedes benz s-class has xenon reading lights in the car that is actually blue-ish.
i don't know, i am not into light. I manually turn all lights off so when i open door nor a light can come on.
I like my darkness....

LIL Raja

1 - 11 of 11 Posts