Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could clearly see my coolant was a bluesh green and the lambo coolant was an orange pink.

I used about a quart of the pink stuff to make the “low coolant” error go away.

I’m not going to mess up mybseals and gaskets like this am I?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,495 Posts
I do think so, yes.

I believe that the greatest damage to elastomer seals is due to deleterious anti-corrosion chemicals in the coolant package, like silicates. Coolant colors are in general meaningless.

Except for the anti-freeze protection it would have been better to make up the loss with DI water. But a quart low on coolant, isn***8217;t that in itself a problem?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you mention silicates. The lambo coolant said silicate free

It is rated for
Audi lambo and Bentley.

It was probably 2/3 of a quart short. It’s super cold here in New Jersey.

Would I be stupid to run the car with out ***120281;***120313;***120322;***120320;***120309;***120310;***120315;***120308; the coolant ASAP
Or am I over thinking

In retrospect, i had this in my trunk from an older project and figured it would be better to top it
Off than to run low.

Im worried about a chemical reaction and ruining my seals.

With that being said I’ve been researching it as I sit in my car and literally almost all mass produced coolants say that they can be mixed with no issues.

Could it be that the whole “do not mix” was to avoid issues in older technology that had silicates (which would be bad for engines not made to handle this chemistry) and we have just been programmed to not mix ?

What would you do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I would monitor for now. Like Doug said, I think the real issue might be that you had to top up in the first place.

2/3qt or .16 gallons in a system that holds what, 2.5 gallons? I really wouldn't worry about the mismatch. If it drains down again, you will need to figure out what the real issue is.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the whole issue of why it fell low is not worrying me much

If you remember I did an engine swap on my car, it showed it needed to be topped off intermittently.

With the really cold weather i decided to top
It off.

I hope that’s all it is anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
346 Posts
You'll be fine, the coolant colors are irrelevant and most of the German specifications are the same. It's not like vw or Benz are making special coolant that doesn't do the same thing bmw coolant does. If anything the others will have your car running cooler forcing the dme to lower the water pump speed.

It's better you did that than just water in freezing weather. But either way you would be good because there enough coolant in there to keep it from freezing or boiling away when it gets hot enough.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know from my old chevy, if you mixed DexCool (orange) with normal green antifreeze, it makes some gross gel. Not fun.

·
Registered
497 Posts
LOL, so true. it was a '96 2500 with a 350. so many grounding points on that cooling system, yet, electrolysis was still a problem with dexcool. If I had known better at the time, I would have converted to standard coolant when I had the 350 replaced a while ago. But, to keep the short block warranty, I had to use dexcool. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts