BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 E90 Xdrive Sedan
So I hit a pothole and the light comes on for TPS. Right front. Since these cars have run flats I make it to the shop. Brand new (4x)Pirellii tires to replace the Contis.

Now I am leaking washer fluid out of the front left bumper. I am getting ready to replace all plugs and coils and since I am in there I am wondering if I can troubleshoot the possible issue with the washer fluid reservoir. Any help is appreciated.

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,772 Posts
The pump just pushes into the tank and if the bump was hard enough I imagine it could have dislodged enough to start leaking fluid out.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
The tank and pumps on the E90 are on the right side, immediately in front of the passenger door. Any tank cracks or leaks in the pump should occur there. (BTW, the washer pumps are a normal failure point -- they develop cracks, and a leak will show at the bottom of the front wheelwell liner. DIY is an hour and the pumps are around $20 each, available at any auto parts store. Check newtis.)

If it's on the front left, possible you dislodged the tube into the left headlight spray?

If so, you should be able to open the spray port and see if the tube is connected.

Alternatively, are you sure it's washer fluid? Does it only drip when you pull the stalk?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't lurk often.

Without research, the reservoir seems to hold almost 2gal. If I pour 1gal in it shuts the light off. 2gal and it leaks. I am wondering if it is a 2-stage tank or something and that could be it. Otherwise I think the suggestions that it is crack or the pump is dislodged would be where I would start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez, that tank really is massive and hugs the wheel well. Just looked it up (don't judge, apartment dweller now - no garage to work in, never taken off the well cover). If I took an educated guess I think it was some foreign object I ran over hitting the well cover/reservoir and perhaps damaging it.

I am due for front and back brakes (I won't forget the brake sensor) and I will pull the passenger side covers to inspect while I have the wheel off.

I'll inspect the pump(s) at that time to determine if they are in need of replacement. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@banglenot - I will also inspect the driver side as well - will report back. I noticed fluid from the driver side but I didn't have a chance to inspect further. It could've come from passenger side and rolled to driver side as the driveway was slanted that way.
Thank you for suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts