BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, it seems there’s leak in my washer pump that whenever i use the washer, all the water inside the reservoir is empty immediately

has anyone ever done the replacement? where do i start? any suggestions for DIY is appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,173 Posts
Do you see it leaking onto the ground or have you removed the wheel well liner to check for leaks?

The washer fluid cap is made from two pieces of plastic and tends to bulge due to heat in the engine bay, then the white inner portion separates from the black outer portion and allows fluid to evaporate. The cap should be flat but a telltale sign of evaporation is a blue stain on the hood liner right above where the washer fluid cap would be. Check if that is your issue, I've had to replace the caps on both cars but the evaporation was a lot worse on the 750i due to how hot the engine gets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i saw it leaking quite much on the ground while i was once filling it. there’s one time i was able to fill it without it leaked, but when i use the washer for about 2 or 3 times, i got washer fluid empty warning on my dashboard. so i guess my washer pump has probably come to an end

is there any diy i should follow to open the washer pump on the car? the car is 2009 750li, thank you

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,173 Posts
The washer fluid reservoir is behind the right side fender, so you'll need to remove the wheel and wheel well liner to access it. You can use a trim removal tool to remove the larger expanding rivets, but the three small ones on the outer edge are trickier, especially if you want to reuse them. The center portion needs to be pushed all the way through the rivet before the outer part can be removed, and if you do it gently, the center part won't fall too far inside and you can reuse them. For reference, this is part #10 in the diagram here:

Once you get the liner off, you should be able to see where it's leaking from. This was as far as I got since my issue was evaporation, but there are more detailed steps in ISTA if you need to replace the reservoir or pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much for the detail, really appreciate it 🙏

will look into it this weekend

1 - 5 of 5 Posts