Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 X1 xDrive35i. The other day I parked out in the rain and came back to find significant water in the driver's side footwell. It appears to be coming in near the hood release and trunk release buttons.

Thoughts on the cause? My first guess is clogged sunroof drains, but they look clear to me. The car is always garages, so I don't collect a lot of debris. I blew the drains out with compressed air and that didn't address it.

Any other possible causes? I have a service appointment next week and thought I'd try and point them in the right direction.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
46 Posts
Water in Foot well

I just experienced the exact same thing. My dealer told me the air-conditioner overflow was clogged . I have had the car since June 1, 2013, and never experienced this before. My car was Garage Kept and I have 35,000 miles on it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi James,

Please keep us updated, also living in Seattle I know all about water. This problem was a nightmare w/my last car, hoping I don't experience it w/ the X1. It's at the body shop getting some scratches removed. Hoping it's inside.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No word yet, but windshield trim leak is sounding more and more likely. I had the dealer replace the windshield a while back, and it has been a disaster. I've already brought it in once because it was leaking at the A pillar. I went to the dealer, because I thought they'd do a better job -- LOL.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No word yet, but windshield trim leak is sounding more and more likely. I had the dealer replace the windshield a while back, and it has been a disaster. I've already brought it in once because it was leaking at the A pillar. I went to the dealer, because I thought they'd do a better job -- LOL.

keep us posted on the finding.

but from my knowledge and experience- do not go to the dealer for windshield and bodyshop work, both of this are sublet for another company to do. so they will look for the cheapest guy to do it as they charge you a good amount, they need to leave as much as possible in their pocket.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The culprit was clogged sunroof drains. I had the same issue on my old 2006 BMW X3 when I took it off roading on the Alvord Desert. It's a bummer that in all this time, BMW still hasn't figured out how to design a sunroof that doesn't get clogged. Do Audi, Porsche, or MB have the same issue? I keep this car garaged every night, so it's unclear what clogged the drains. This was NOT covered by the CPO warranty, so it cost me ~$400.

-James
Seattle, WA

·
Registered
53 Posts
The culprit was clogged sunroof drains. I had the same issue on my old 2006 BMW X3 when I took it off roading on the Alvord Desert. It's a bummer that in all this time, BMW still hasn't figured out how to design a sunroof that doesn't get clogged. Do Audi, Porsche, or MB have the same issue? I keep this car garaged every night, so it's unclear what clogged the drains. This was NOT covered by the CPO warranty, so it cost me ~$400.

-James
Seattle, WA
Thanks James, I’m assuming the majority of that was labor charges to diagnose the issue. I’m going to school off you, thank you. I just need to learn how to check/clear those now. I’m hoping you or someone here has some insight into that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts