BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the rainy Northwest, and got stopped for a dead brak light. Water was standing in the lens of the left rear light cluster. It had corroded and popped the side maker light and brake light. I soaked the water out and replaced the bulbs, but imagine it will refill with water. Has anyone tried putting a sealant under the lens gasket, replacing the lens gasket, or just tightening the nuts? Ideas? Thanks.

·
Need a tow?
245 Posts
M-powered said:
Has anyone tried putting a sealant under the lens gasket, replacing the lens gasket, or just tightening the nuts? Ideas? Thanks.
Seattle as well, had this problem with my Z3, probably the exact same lens as the MRoadster.

If you take the lens out of the car, and look at it closely, you'll notice that a small portion of the outboard marker light mounting tube is outside of the gasket. Likely it is cracked slightly there as well, because of the heat of the bulb. With this crack, and forward motion, water is "pumped" into the light housing. It can only get into a couple compartments, due to the light baffling inside the lens.

I put a small dab of hi-temp silicone seal over the cracks in mine, it's been about 7 months now, and I'm due to check it soon.

While you have the lens out of the car, a bit of Gummi-Pfledge on the gasket wouldn't be a bad idea...

David

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Giznaz said:
Seattle as well, had this problem with my Z3, probably the exact same lens as the MRoadster.

If you take the lens out of the car, and look at it closely, you'll notice that a small portion of the outboard marker light mounting tube is outside of the gasket. Likely it is cracked slightly there as well, because of the heat of the bulb. With this crack, and forward motion, water is "pumped" into the light housing. It can only get into a couple compartments, due to the light baffling inside the lens.

I put a small dab of hi-temp silicone seal over the cracks in mine, it's been about 7 months now, and I'm due to check it soon.

While you have the lens out of the car, a bit of Gummi-Pfledge on the gasket wouldn't be a bad idea...

David
While you're at it, you could replace the outboard running lamp with an LED bulb, and the same for the brake light bulbs. Or at least I think you can... I did in my M. No more massive heat generators in my rear lamp housings (except reverse lamps, but those are never on for more than a handful of seconds).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.