Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2013 X3 F25 with 43500 miles RHD.

I went to retrieve the wheel lock key from the compartment on the left of the boot where the toolkit and first aid kit lives.
I found that the compartment was full of water to the level of the wheel key. The toolkit was under water and the first aid kit was partly submerged. There does not appear to be any water under the plastic compartment but a small amount of water in the battery compartment.

The only sign of where the water is coming from is above the compartment on the back of the plastic trim.

The car does not have a sunroof.

I aquavac’d all the water out and dried with paper towels. It leaks even when the car is parked but there has been some wind up here in Fife.

The only places I can see that might leak is the wiring conduit from the boot lid to the body, or the boot door seal.
Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you ever find a cause/solution. I discovered a pool of water in the battery well and after drying it out it has remained dry, however the windscreen does collect a massive amount of condensation on the inside on some days which I fear will begin to freeze as the weather gets worse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new tailgate seal waiting to be installed. The seal was modified at some point so it is a later version than is on my car. I am hoping that will fix one of the problems.

The battery compartment issue could be caused by water entering the battery compartment where the wires come in from the parking sensors. To the rest of the compartment somewhere. Apparently you can check that using a mirror but I haven’t checked mine yet.

This link will help look for problems with water ingress.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...le-water-ingress/repair-instructions-f25-f10/

It appears BMW have designed a sieve !!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tailgate seal didn’t fix the water leak. The seal needed replacing anyway but where is the water getting in. I don’t have a sunroof so it’s not drain tubes.

The only thing it could be is the rubber wiring Flexi tube
It’s not rear light seal as the leak is too high.

Has anyone sealed the Flexi tube where it joins the d pillar with silicone?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears that the rain water is getting under the wiring grommet from body to tailgate. Where the grommet enters the D-pillar it is double skin metalwork. It appears that the water is running down between the skins and exiting where the plastic mount for the d-pillar trim is screwed to the d-pillar. I think some careful application of silicone under the grommet will fix it.

The car is going anyway. It’s 5 years old exactly with 43650 on the clock and has whining transmission, noisy turbo and rattling timing chain. All that and a water leak has signed its end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts