BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 528i, apparently the condensation from the a/c system is not draining outside the car but instead is collecting under the carpet in the rear seats. Does anybody have any idea on how to correct the problem or whats causing it?:

·
Registered
401 Posts
do a search for water leaks in the search section. there's several things that it could be other than the a/c drains. some common culprits are plugged sunroof drains, loose drain plugs in the back floors, as well as the plugged a/c drains. one of the other big things is the back door vapor barrier that attaches to the inside of the door, behind the door panel. those are prone to leak after some time. if you haven't been in any rain here lately, or not within the last few days before you saw the water, then that may not be the case. if you're pretty confident about it being the a/c drains, then i'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere about the locations of your drains. but if you have been in rain or washed your car here lately, and noticed the water some time there after, run some water over the seams of where the doors meet the body and see if water comes in through the bottom of your door, over the rocker panel, and inside the car. good luck with the problem. actually my '99 540it has that vapor barrier leak, passenger rear door. if i run water over the door directly, it comes rolling in. haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, but it is on my to-do list.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have a 2000 528i, apparently the condensation from the a/c system is not draining outside the car but instead is collecting under the carpet in the rear seats. Does anybody have any idea on how to correct the problem or whats causing it?:
Blockage in the condensate drain (leaves or pine needles usually.) With the car on a lift sometimes the drain hose can be vacuumed out but if there is already water in the interior, the padding and carpet will need to come out to dry post haste!!! :yikes: Otherwise mold will result unless you live in the desert SW where the humidity is low, even then it may still mildew. Since you are in NJ you have plenty of humidity to go around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
water

Thank you for your reply, it's definitely A/C related as we've had no rain and I just made a 4 hour drive in hi heat and humidity, when I got home I noticed a paper on the floor in the back seat was wet and the carpet was soaked. I vacuumed about 2qts of water out of the rear floor wells so far. I'll see if there are any threads on my problem!

·
Registered
401 Posts
i think the a/c drains on the v-8's are supposed to be by the o2 sensors at the cats, but not exactly certain on the i-6. hope it works out for ya.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i copied this from bimmerboard.com, do a search for ac condensation. the reply was for someone with a 540, but maybe it's the same:

It does sound like the drains are plugged.

There are 2 of them (one on each side)

You have to get under the car and look up along the side of the transmission for tubes that runs horizontally toward the rear (about 6-8 inches long). I think they may be partially hidden above the exhaust and the rear outlet is over the cats.

The front of the tube goes up onto the bottom of the evaporator housing. If it is plugged in the tube then just clean it out - but if it appears to be clogged at the exit of the evaporator then you must have something in there and it may require more extensive cleaning of the evaporator unit - best left to the pros.

Regarding the water in the foot-wells - if this has been happening more than once or twice then I strongly suggest you remove both front seats and pull up the carpet and "most importantly" the under pads and sound proofing filler units. You want to be sure all that stuff is very dry before any mold or corrosion start. Also there are electrics in those locations (large fused distribution panel under passenger seat) so you want to be sure they are dry and free of any corrosion.

When pulling the seats there are electrical connections, including the passenger occupancy sensor, etc. It is not necessary to disconnect the battery but do NOT turn on the ignition switch while this is disconnected or you will have to visit a dealer to have the air bag system reset.

The easiest way is to unbolt the seats and then just tip them toward the rear. That way you do not have to disconnect the cable to the seat belt height adjuster (although it may accidentally get dislodged anyway.

Cheers
Jim Cash

1 - 7 of 7 Posts