Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2005 x3 for 4 weeks now and have been able to drive it only for 1 of those weeks. On my second week of ownership, I found water under the carpets. A quick browsing of the forum led me to the vapor barriers which I have corrected. P.O. had replaced the window regs and destroyed the vapor barriers.

I am still getting water in the front passenger side from up front under the carpet. It's not leaking on to the carpet but rather coming down firewall or somewhere. I'm looking for the sunroof tubes in the a pillars but there is none. I pulled the trim off the right side and found only an air bag.

Where does that tube run? I already cleaned the drain and I get water from it when testing. When it rains had is when I get the leak so I'm thinking the tube is kinked? Do e83's do that? I see x5's that have right ups about that but can find none on x3.

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks frisbeeguy. I saw where you showed what they look like at the connection but didn't see where they run from the roof. Since they are not inside the car at the A pillar, I'm assuming that they run inside the A pillar itself? Can you verify? Thanks again

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks frisbeeguy. I saw where you showed what they look like at the connection but didn't see where they run from the roof. Since they are not inside the car at the A pillar, I'm assuming that they run inside the A pillar itself? Can you verify? Thanks again

Yes, they run inside the A pillar. Best way to test the valve operation within the tube or see if it is clogged is to:
-Open the sunroof. Find the drain hole on the passenger side. Pull off passenger side door trim/kick panel...move seat all the way back. Pour water down the hole and identify if a leak is present
OR
-remove all grab handles, remove the 4 headliner screws on the sunroof frame, and slightly lower the headliner...pull off hose/do visual inspection...if you want can also pour water to see leaks if present....to unclog, abscate uses A440 piano wire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I pulled back the front carpet in the passenger side, rear carpet is already out from drying it from previous leaks. I ran water over the sunroof/windshield/door area for an hour with nothing leaking on the inside!!! Arrr! Where is this water coming from?!?!? All 4 sunroof drains are passing water. I figured if 1 was backing up, an hour of continuous water would show it.

Any thoughts??

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Given the location, either AC condensate drains, windshield seal itself, or heater core. With the amount of people who think their engine “smokes” during the winter, I have to question if it is pure water or coolant that is dripping; I’ve seen engines filled with only water and no coolant thinking it’s only “antifreeze.”

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
North, where does the condensate drain come out on the fire wall? Near the center I would assume? I'm in PA and it's been a wet year. I have been running the a.c. lately to help dry the car out. Too funny if it turns out to be that.

I would think the windshield seal would have shown itself during my 1 hr water test.

It's definitely not coolant. I just did the expansion tank and upper rad hose. I know the coolant is green.

Thanks for the replies!!

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
Look at item 9 on this diagram. Normally there are two - one on either side of the evap/heater core. They drain to the ground thru the underside of the car The hoses are longer than the diagram. Haven't worked on them on the e83 but on other bimmers there's usually one on each side of the tranny hump. This diagram only shows one though? Run your ac and see if condensation is dripping underneath the car. Maybe the drain hose has a frozen clog midway down, maybe debris. I've cleaned others with a coat hanger. These drains are hard to see on the underside but they're there.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PA93-USA-05-2004-E83-BMW-X3_30i&diagId=64_0817

This pic is from a different bimmer - but you'll get an idea what it looks like from below.

·
Registered
175 Posts
North, where does the condensate drain come out on the fire wall? Near the center I would assume? I'm in PA and it's been a wet year. I have been running the a.c. lately to help dry the car out. Too funny if it turns out to be that.

I would think the windshield seal would have shown itself during my 1 hr water test.

It's definitely not coolant. I just did the expansion tank and upper rad hose. I know the coolant is green.

Thanks for the replies!!

I came across this thread looking for help to fix a clogged sunroof drain line. I'm pretty sure your coolant should be blue, not green. You might want to double check your coolant type you have in your x3.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Evidently someone changed it out before I got it. Not too worried. Green, blue, pink or purple. As long as it doesn't freeze.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Evidently someone changed it out before I got it. Not too worried. Green, blue, pink or purple. As long as it doesn't freeze.

The wrong coolant can cause damage and pre-mature part failure. I'm not saying it will or will not, and color alone is not necessarily the indicator of correct coolant. Also, if you don't know what you have in there, it's not a bad idea to change it out so you know you have the right stuff.

See the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x_tzo412mw

·
Registered
35 Posts
wrong coolant

That white stuff is not from running the wrong coolant. It's from not using distilled water. Calcium and other minerals form the white crud.

Klaus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts