BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today after climbing a steep hill I got engine temperature warning and then a min later 'engine overheated - stop' alert. I stopped, let it cool down. then carefully drove home (10 km) - I had to stop and cool the engine a couple of times. The pump (I am guessing it is pump) is making a whining noise like it is running at its max, the air vent is turning on and off every 20 seconds.
what do I do now? I have the ista+, would I be able to figure out what failed? I am guessing 99% it is pump.. could I also damage the engine? It was very late and I was with my kids so at this point I would not care less about this stupid car...

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,571 Posts
today after climbing a steep hill I got engine temperature warning and then a min later 'engine overheated - stop' alert. I stopped, let it cool down. then carefully drove home (10 km) - I had to stop and cool the engine a couple of times. The pump (I am guessing it is pump) is making a whining noise like it is running at its max, the air vent is turning on and off every 20 seconds.
what do I do now? I have the ista+, would I be able to figure out what failed? I am guessing 99% it is pump.. could I also damage the engine? It was very late and I was with my kids so at this point I would not care less about this stupid car...
What is “the air vent,” please?

If the pump is running at maximum speed then it is doing what it should in an overheat.

What is your actual coolant level? With the expansion tank venting (likely your “air vent[ing]”) and an overheat alarm, you may have insufficient coolant. Check your actual coolant level.

Yes. Overheating can damage and destroy the engine. Overheating can warp the head and pull the pull the head bolts out of their block screw threads.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
The water pump is the weak point on that engine. It seems as though the engine cooling fan running at high rate is the typical warning sign as the pump is getting to failure state.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
another water pump bites the dust. Mine did at 40k. dont over think it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
As Jeremy Clarkson would say” still, could be worse”. My water pump on my e39 once decided to just stop spinning while I was on a highway. I had coolant pouring out of the engine and lost power steering all at about 75 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
So it wasn’t just the water pump. WTF is Jeremey Clarkson?

Jeremy Clarkson is a television host. He used to host BBCs car show Top gear and now works for amazon hosting the grand tour. He’s an interesting character to say the least. As for my e39, the pump physically seized and caused everything attached to the belt stop turning as well, ie. the alternator and the ps pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
5,756 Posts

Those pumps can last also. Everything depends on driving conditions. If your car is mostly driven in the city, pump will fail much earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts
Seriously?
WTF Clarkson?

It has been nearly two decades since I have seen more than incidental television. To the point that we seat ourselves in a bar to avoid the Natural Felons League propaganda. We have not had a broadcast band receiver since 2003.

If I see video, it is streamed and pulled, selected for streaming / downloading. Jordan Peterson is a favorite ATM.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,881 Posts
You can ABSOLUETELY damage the engine by running it overheated. Let's hope not.

You likely hear the FAN running at max, not the water pump. The system is trying to cool the radiator when the water isn't moving and is just superheating in the engine.

As others have said, don't overthink this.

Do yourself a favor. Get it towed if you need to move it. And get an Uber account for future emergencies. Yes, it's a 'stupid car', but it is YOUR stupid car- and you can change a $1000 water pump into a $12000 new motor.

GL

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,243 Posts
I think the N52 and N54 are pretty sophisticated in terms of engine management in the face of overheating. The car starts to severely limit fuel supply to the cylinders in order to keep the engine from getting damaged. It probably won't even fire all the cylinders and maybe even rotates which ones are getting fuel to spread the heat out. That's why, if you have ever experienced the "pull over now", the engine power is reduced to almost nothing....enough to pull over and that's about it. When my wife's N52 X5 overheated, I also drove it home a mile or two. Had to stop and let it cool down a couple times. Had the heat on full blast while driving home - that helps shed some of the heat as well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,881 Posts
I think the N52 and N54 are pretty sophisticated in terms of engine management in the face of overheating. The car starts to severely limit fuel supply to the cylinders in order to keep the engine from getting damaged. It probably won't even fire all the cylinders and maybe even rotates which ones are getting fuel to spread the heat out. That's why, if you have ever experienced the "pull over now", the engine power is reduced to almost nothing....enough to pull over and that's about it. When my wife's N52 X5 overheated, I also drove it home a mile or two. Had to stop and let it cool down a couple times. Had the heat on full blast while driving home - that helps shed some of the heat as well.
While some of this may be true, the extension to 'you can keep driving and the engineers made it impossible to do serious damage' is pretty risky, if not foolish.

Just saying.., IMO.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is “the air vent,” please?

If the pump is running at maximum speed then it is doing what it should in an overheat.

What is your actual coolant level? With the expansion tank venting (likely your “air vent[ing]”) and an overheat alarm, you may have insufficient coolant. Check your actual coolant level.

Yes. Overheating can damage and destroy the engine. Overheating can warp the head and pull the pull the head bolts out of their block screw threads.
sorry, I meant the fan.. I did check the coolant recently (i do it every couple of months to make sure).
I understand that overheating can damage the engine just not sure how BMWs are handling these kind of situations.. can't believe that every time pump goes the engine gets damaged.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yes, it looks like it. when I was driving slowly on the local road the high temp sign was popping up when I was going uphill. and the engine power was reduced as well.
the engine and the coolant did not feel extremely hot, really weird.

the fan and the pump were making noises, the pump was on all the time the fan was on and off.. maybe it is the thermostat.. I will go and check the coolant level now
---
coolant level is full. 100% full at max indicator. the car starts and there is no sound of crazy running pump so it could be the thermostat (when the engine gets hotter)..
again - this is not 35000 miles, this is kms.. just seriously, keep replacing it every 30000 km?

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts
I am under the hood every week. First to smart charge the battery for best service life, but also, while I***8217;m there, to check fluids like coolant, PS reservoir, top off WW solution, engine oil dip stick not so often for not using / burning / losing any oil over an OCI yet. Just past 80K miles.

I glance at the belts with still no evidence of age.

I notice that the bonnet security alarm switch is stuck, but that will have to wait until spring and warm weather.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am under the hood every week. First to smart charge the battery for best service life, but also, while I'm there, to check fluids like coolant, PS reservoir, top off WW solution, engine oil dip stick not so often for not using / burning / losing any oil over an OCI yet. Just past 80K miles.

I glance at the belts with still no evidence of age.

I notice that the bonnet security alarm switch is stuck, but that will have to wait until spring and warm weather.
me too, not every week but regularly. will start to studying the subject - even it is thermostat probably best to replace them both?

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts
me too, not every week but regularly. will start to studying the subject - even it is thermostat probably best to replace them both?
I did not. Within the first year of my ownership of this X5 I preemptively changed the thermostat for the huge consequences of its failure in a BMW diesel.

I can see signs of impending water pump failure; coolant loss rate increasing, evidence of liquid coolant leakage at the front of the engine, et cetera. The smell of coolant.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,243 Posts
yes, it looks like it. when I was driving slowly on the local road the high temp sign was popping up when I was going uphill. and the engine power was reduced as well.
the engine and the coolant did not feel extremely hot, really weird.

the fan and the pump were making noises, the pump was on all the time the fan was on and off.. maybe it is the thermostat.. I will go and check the coolant level now
---
coolant level is full. 100% full at max indicator. the car starts and there is no sound of crazy running pump so it could be the thermostat (when the engine gets hotter)..
again - this is not 35000 miles, this is kms.. just seriously, keep replacing it every 30000 km?
Read the codes. There is most likely a water pump complaining code of some sort. If it is, change the water pump, thermostat and U-shaped hose connecting the two. You'll need a gallon of BMW coolant and a gallon of distilled water.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Read the codes. There is most likely a water pump complaining code of some sort. If it is, change the water pump, thermostat and U-shaped hose connecting the two. You'll need a gallon of BMW coolant and a gallon of distilled water.
thanks! I will do that. Hopefully I can do this myself..

1 - 20 of 102 Posts