BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Anyone have a DIY to replace a water pump on a '05 645ci? Is there a DIY section on this forum? TIA
I recently did mine on my 08 650...

Was relatively easy, but I was in NO hurry....

Worst part was having to buy the AC belt installer and removing the crank pulley.. My pulley was held on by 8 bolts surrounding the main crank bolt..

I do not know for sure, but in my research it seems like the older models you have to remove the crank bolt, but like said, I cannot verify that.....

Removal of the lower crank pulley is required because some genius engineer put the lower water pump bolt behind it..... ...

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
re post to a re post

no more crazy stretch belt
this was the worst pain of the whole job
but you can 'upgrade' to this instead'
forevermore...

i posted this before so i dug it up...
whereas you will be simply adding in the NEW longer a/c belt and NEW tensioner (like it should have been already i feel) to the equation and in the future less headache.

this is the NEW TENSIONER ADDITION... id number 11287549589
and NEW LONGER V BELT... id number 4pk860
whereas the standard v belt (the one you are using right now) is id number 4PK 824

this is the full conversation on 5 series dot net
http://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/ac-belt-tensioner-help-139229/

there is a hole for the NEW a/c tensioner ALREADY STAMPED INTO THE BLOCK

NEW TESIONER

STAMP THAT IS ALREADY ON THE BLOCK

·
Registered
260 Posts
I did the water pump on my 08
The only hard part is taking off and putting back the belt cause one of the belts doesn't have a tensioner
Other than that pretty simple

·
Registered
38 Posts
no need to remove the crank pulley, but that bottom bolt is a PITA! I cut a little of the length off before reinstalling it. Just takes the right slim open end wrench, and some patience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks gunyvw...installed the new tensioner and belt over a month ago and have not had any issues...great mod...thanks again!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've done this job twice in the life of my vehicle
Honestly I would say not hard at all.
The hardest part is removing the
A/C belt and putting it back on since it doesn't have a tensioner but other than that it actually was almost a walk in the park for me to do.

The one thing you might wanna careful about is the hose that go into the water pump have little round gaskets inside that might fall out and if they aren't there and you clamp the hose on coolant will pour out so make sure those guys are there.
Mine fell out while I was doing the job and I finished and turned the car on and coolant all over the place till I realized I forgot to put that gasket back in.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice. I did the installation back in Nov/16 and it worked out great. On advice from another member I installed the new belt tensioner and belt for the A/C as it appears in the 5 or 7 series with the same engine. Have not had any issues and that darn belt was simple to put on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts