Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 08 just passed 90K miles recently. It was really cold yesterday (not sure if it is relevant...) and once the car dropped down to normal idle speed, I heard slow interval knock. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the block so I am guessing it is the water pump or one of the other pulleys.

Can I do a simple diagnosis by slipping the belt off and free spinning the water pump by hand and check for excessive bearing wobble?
Any other components to check?

If it is a bad water pump - can anyone tell me about how much time I have left on it in this state? I have twins on the way in about a week and lost my garage space.
Thanks

·
Michael
2,268 Posts
Best thing to have in your toolbox is a mechanics stethoscope, cheap to buy but can save you mega dollars in helping to diagnose, especially pulley bearings etc even with the engine running that is the point of it!!!.......Worst case very long screwdriver with your ear to the end and the tip against the pulley, problem with this you have to be very careful obviously!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife just bought a regular stethoscope (pregnant with twins - trying to hear the heartbeats), I was just thinking about taking off the end and replacing it with a piece of hard tubing to reach down in there. Thanks!

·
Michael
2,268 Posts
My wife just bought a regular stethoscope (pregnant with twins - trying to hear the heartbeats), I was just thinking about taking off the end and replacing it with a piece of hard tubing to reach down in there. Thanks!
Congrats on the twins !!! Even the mechanic ones come with a doctors type end section, but also a long and extendable stem to get into harder places!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
The cheapy Harbor Freight stethoscope works great....
I also had a knock in my 08.. Stethoscope pinpointed it was the water pump... Seems as when I did the repair ( couple of years ago) there were some comments about 08 pumps going out early? Mine went out a 40K.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,322 Posts
A broom handle works well also, but be very careful anytime you stick anything on a rotating engine. It is easy to accidentally hit something by mistake.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Easiest way to see if you are hearing engine noise or driven component noise is to remove the belt and start the vehicle to see if the noise still exists. Obviously you do not want to let the vehicle run for an extended period of time due to the risk of overheating, but a minute or two will be fine.

·
Registered
516 Posts
A broom handle works well also, but be very careful anytime you stick anything on a rotating engine. It is easy to accidentally hit something by mistake.
And when a large screwdriver gets launched at you when it hits a fan blade and smacks you in the head it hurts... I still remember doing this at 18 after installing a new cam in the car in the pic.....

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the replies. My Indy has time tomorrow and they get me parts at cost so it's worth it since my wife is on bed rest and weather in PA sucks time of year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the belt and it is the pump for sure. The tensioner has some play so that is getting done along with new belts. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts