BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 330xi that's had constant cooling system troubles. After I overheated back in November and stalled out, I replaced most of the hoses, the expansion tank, the thermostat, and water pump. I keep having persistent leaks dead center. No fluid on the pulleys so it definitely seems to be an issue with the water pump - but we've replaced it TWICE with brand new pumps from Advance Auto (I'll call them WP1 and WP2 for clarity)

After putting in WP1 in November I drove the car for a few months before realizing it was still leaking. While putting WP2 in, I noticed WP1 (which we had definitely torqued to specs) was way too easy to remove. The bolts were barely hand tight and I didn't have to walk it off with other bolts, like I did with the original pump when I got the car.

Now barely a month after putting it in WP2 is leaking. I haven't had the chance to see if it loosened up on its own like WP1, but regardless it should NOT still be leaking. Due to the leak location I'm nearly positive it's the water pump. Has anyone else had the same issues with chain store brand water pumps not seating properly? I'm hoping the Genuine BMW brand water pump fixes my persistent problem but wanted to see if other people had the same experience

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
The ONLY things I buy from Advance Auto are:
- Oil
- NGK spark plugs and that is it...

Do NOT buy anything else from them.
Their WP is terrible.

Go to FCPEuro dot com and look.
I use HEPU WP, it is now 14y/100K later, still solid.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,420 Posts
I believe the torque is 89 in.lbs, just a tick past finger tight, but that is irrelevant for sealing leaks because of the design. If it was a gasket between 2 flat surfaces (like the head gasket) than torque would be a factor to prevent leaks. Assuming the pump housing is the correct diameter your o-ring is the problem. Can you find out what manufacturer pumps you tried so others know to avoid them?

I agree with above, get your next pump (and most other parts) online from a reputable parts distributor that specializes in German vehicles.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure it was CARQUEST brand both times - I'll check the receipts. They came with new o-rings each time. I also mainly mentioned the torque because it was extremely weird that the pump loosened by itself, when normally to replace a water pump you need to use separate bolts and slowly walk it off the housing. The whole process was suspiciously easy with the advance pump. That's what I get for not wanting to wait for shipping, I guess.

Getting a new one today from a more reputable brand! Hopefully this fixes my coolant leak once and for all.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Whatthedel: Another cheap copy from the well-known "foreign" country. Besides not even copying basic dimensions very well, they do not know how to make rubber parts correctly. I installed a made-in-China Hella brand coolant reservoir and in nine months one (only one) of the two o-rings in the bottom hardened up and started to leak. Right dimensions, wrong rubber compound. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what was wrong with your water pumps.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Can't speak for the e46 but for other car I had, the Hyundai, since it is a Hyundai, I used Advance parts for brake/rotors. They definitely didn't last. Lesson: for critical parts or heavy duty parts, use OEM. Other stuffs like air filter, you can go cheap.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
The WP linked above by SolidJake is good (Saleri). However, if you read the reviews, a few people reported the composite impeller, the single most important
part of the WP, broke off after a few thousand miles.

I personally think Saleri is fine bc there are thousands of these Saleri WPs on the road.

I am however like HEPU WP better (same price as Saleri) bc I last installed HEPU WP in my 1998 528i at 90K.
At 14y/90K later (I am now at 180K), it is still solid.
We have 4 BMWs at home (M52 and M54 engines) and all of them have HEPU WPs...

The reviews on HEPU are unanimously good:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-water-pump-11517527910h

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,420 Posts
The WP linked above by SolidJake is good (Saleri). However, if you read the reviews, a few people reported the composite impeller, the single most important
part of the WP, broke off after a few thousand miles.

I personally think Saleri is fine bc there are thousands of these Saleri WPs on the road.

I am however like HEPU WP better (same price as Saleri) bc I last installed HEPU WP in my 1998 528i at 90K.
At 14y/90K later (I am now at 180K), it is still solid.
We have 4 BMWs at home (M52 and M54 engines) and all of them have HEPU WPs...

The reviews on HEPU are unanimously good:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-water-pump-11517527910h
I just installed FCP's big cooling system kit ($602) in the new-to-us 325xiT, the water pump they include with it is the Saleri.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got an OEM pump. You can see how much smaller the o-ring was in the carquest one - carquest is on top in the picture, OEM on the bottom. There was a noticeable difference in installation too - the OEM one fit a lot tighter and it was very clear when it was seated. Hopefully that solves the leak for good now.

In the process of putting the belt back on we stripped the tensioner bolt though so - thanks for the help, on to the next adventure ***x1f644; this one I can probably handle on my own though

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.