·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 BMW 325i
159,000 mile on car
Automatic Transmission
All Stock

I have a major issue. One of the four studs for the nut that secures the water pump to the block cracked. I was installing the new water pump with my torque wrench and the stud cracked in the middle. :-( What on earth can I do? Does the old stud have to be drilled out and a new one welded into the block or something? I have no idea. Any assistance is appreciated. Also, does anyone have any information on why this would haven't? Weakened metal, due to metal fatigue, or I'm an idiot and over tighten? My torque wrench was double and triple checked before and after the break, and had not popped so I assume it wasn't user error, or ignorance, but I'm up for comment, and correction.

Thank you,
William

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I take it that "stud cracked in the middle," along with the rest of your description means that the stud broke leaving part of it in the block? If so, then yes, it can be drilled out and the hole threads cleaned up for installation of a new stud.

Overtightened. Perhaps metric/english error on setting your torque wrench. . .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the Assistance JKRIT..........

Thank you for the assistance JKRIT. I'll have to go through the process.

I have the new version of the Bentley manual and it says on page 170-13, 89 in.-lbs., and I was working with 89 ft.-lbs. like an idiot. Live and learn.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
William

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Thank you for the assistance JKRIT. I'll have to go through the process.

I have the new version of the Bentley manual and it says on page 170-13, 89 in.-lbs., and I was working with 89 ft.-lbs. like an idiot. Live and learn.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
William
I had a friend who only had 3 of the 4 studs and he never had a problem. It has an internal o-ring to seal it. I bet you'll be fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Continuing On............

Thank you Smolck. I'm going to take that advice for now. I got everything back together and it runs well. This is still one of those, when I have the time projects. Who knows if I'll create the time to do them. Usually not, but I'm hopefully.

Cheers,
William

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't mean to be a dik and rub it in but 89 ft.-lbs should have raised up a red flag. I don't even torque my wheel's lugnuts that high. I would have thought to myself, "89 ft.-lbs? On these small studs? That's got to be a mistake."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.