BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I strongly need support in resolving a repeated failure of the electric coolant pump on my BMW X5 3.0si 2008.

About 2 months ago, the car experienced the continuous high fan revolution with the coolant light coming on.
Did some checks and found that the coolant is not flowing back through the top of the expansion tank and did a bleed, still no sign.
I immediately ordered for a new coolant pump from FCP Euro which i installed and worked fine but for 1 week, and the same issue re-occur.
I immediately ordered a fairly used pump and still the same issue re-occur.
I have ordered a new water pump from ebay part no. 11517568595; it is expected in next 4 days.

I need advice on what precaution to take in order not to have same issue on this new one.:cry::cry:

NB. I use a second car connected directly to the battery to support the system while bleeding the coolant system

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
FCP has lifetime warranty of the parts they sell. Why not ask FCP for a replacement? Sometimes parts are bad out of the box. What brand pump did you order new from FCP? Was it either OE or OEM or generic replacement? Having been around the BMW forums for a long time, there are parts that are not OEM or OE that have a high failure rate out of the box. What brand is your eBay pump? I'd go for OEM on that part. Also since they are so prone to failure I would not bother with used part and I am a proponent of used parts - when it makes sense.

I've had a leaky water pump from a supposed upgraded part on my E46.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FCP has lifetime warranty of the parts they sell. Why not ask FCP for a replacement? Sometimes parts are bad out of the box. What brand pump did you order new from FCP? Was it either OE or OEM or generic replacement? Having been around the BMW forums for a long time, there are parts that are not OEM or OE that have a high failure rate out of the box. What brand is your eBay pump? I'd go for OEM on that part. Also since they are so prone to failure I would not bother with used part and I am a proponent of used parts - when it makes sense.

I've had a leaky water pump from a supposed upgraded part on my E46.
Thanks. Exploring the replacement option with FCP Euro now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Replace Thermostat as well since you already worked on it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,841 Posts
Are you using a computer w BMW software to look at codes, see if there are other bad sensors or module errors???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Computer coming in on Friday

Are you using a computer w BMW software to look at codes, see if there are other bad sensors or module errors???
the Computer for the scanning is coming in on Friday.
Will wait for the scanning before installing the new pump received yesterday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your responses.
I have narrowed the issue down to power supply to the pumps.
Checked all the 'failed' pump by having pin 1 and 2 on 12v+ and pin 4 on 12v-, they all functioned at full speed.
Will be isolating the cause of the power failure; either to pin 1 or 2.

Will update once issue resolved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corroded Ground to Engine

The issue with the water pump has been resolved.
I found the ground cable to the engine is not making good contact.
Added additional ground cable and the water pump is running optimally.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Thanks for closing the loop and glad it’s resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

1 - 11 of 11 Posts