BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the engine overheat warning came up and I almost got stranded on the road but made it to the nearest dealership.

The service rep attributed the problem to the faulty water pump. Anyways the damage is over $1300 with $600 in parts (water pump).

So I got the car back for a few days now but I notice that at time it still feels very warm by touching the hood of the car after driving for 30 minutes in local traffic. Is this normal? Although this doesn't happen all the time. Should I bring the vehicle back to the dealership?

Thanks.

·
Plate O' Shrimp
326 Posts
The N54 gets crazy hot in normal operation. You will have no idea just by getting close to it whether it's overheated or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are times after I get home from work the hood is cool to the touch so the behavior is no consistent.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The N54 runs extremely hot. I wish we had a temperatures gage... Anyhow, if you are that concerned, take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
107 Posts
this brings up a question. from what i understand, if the engine gets too hot you will get some kind of message via the idrive screen. however, my manual also says that "a warning lamp will light up." but it does not say where the warning lamp is. anyone know? interesting how bmw thinks its somehow progress to get rid of a vital intrument like engine temperature gauge

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
this brings up a question. from what i understand, if the engine gets too hot you will get some kind of message via the idrive screen. however, my manual also says that "a warning lamp will light up." but it does not say where the warning lamp is. anyone know? interesting how bmw thinks its somehow progress to get rid of a vital intrument like engine temperature gauge
I am sure it's on the dash.
I can't imagine it's hidden, the other day I've got message saying my windshield washer fluid low and it's not subtle at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts