BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a 2006 330i with 100100 miles. I recently took it to get my spark plugs changed (I know I could have done it myself) because I have never worked on my cars in the past before. While they were reseting the code in the system the mechanic found a code for the water pump. He said it usually just gives out, that many aren't lucky to know in advance. Well I asked him how much for the parts and labor and he gave me a quote of ~$1200. I said no way. After reading around here I see that many purchase the parts online and just have their indy shop do the labor. The thing is, this will be my first purchase and I am a bit scared. What if i accidentally order the wrong parts knowing my luck. I know he said its an electric pump, I found one on the Tischer site Thermostat/ Waterpump kit for $475. If it is the wrong part can I return it? Any one bought items off of this site? Anything else I need for this job for extra income? Anyone near Long Beach, Ca that has done this job in the past or knows someone that can do it? I also have a whole list of items that I need to do. I need to change out my front bushings and my drive tensioning idle?. This is the link for the site that is offering the pack. Please help, I am having second thought of purchasing this vehicle earlier this year. Almost thinking about selling it. Thanks!

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloc...o&PartID=1003816&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

· Aleks
1,269 Posts
1. Go to realoem.com
put your vin number in and find the right part number for your waterpump and thermostat.

2. Use someone else from Tischer. They are priced very well but their parts are BMW stamped which means you pay a little extra (un-necessary). However, I think with genuine BMW parts you get 2 years instead of 1 of warranty.

People I have ordered from and have generally really good prices, just try them all and find who is the cheapest with shipping.

NOTE: You need to replace all the screws as well as they are one time use aluminium.

fcpeuro.com
ecstuning.com
rmeuropean.com

Good luck.

· Registered
223 Posts
Using the remaining time you have available before your water pump croaks, find a good indy shop. You live in SoCal, the BMW center of the universe.
Talk with the indy, establish a relationship, create a repair/replace schedule and let them do the work if you're not DIY-centric. Otherwise use this forum, a Bentley manual and google to do it yourself.
Repair parts and proper maintenance on these cars is not inexpensive nor do they suffer fools gladly.

· RobDB
35 Posts
Hello,

I bought an '06 330i w/ Sport Package in mid-June of this year. Had approx. 77,000 and other than a few dings is in very nice condition. My 528iT 5 sp was getting a little long in the tooth and I liked the 6 sp and Alpine white of the 330. I love the Sport Package and was heading out early on July 15. I was driving up a hill and the temp warning light appeared. It went from yellow to red in seconds. I called my mechanic and he said it was probably the water pump. I drove over and the diagnostic code was for the WP. A few days and $950 later I was back on the road. New WP and thermostat. The dealer actually compensated me for $400 and for the past two months I've been getting to know, and enjoying, the car. My suggestion is to find a solid indy shop. The cost for repair should be $800 - $1000. From what I've read this is the 330's Achilles heel. Get past this and beyond normal wear and tear you should be good to go. They are a blast to drive. Good luck.

Rob

· Registered
8,097 Posts
Water pump failure is common on ALL BMWs, not just the 330s

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Hello all! I have a 2006 330i with 100100 miles. I recently took it to get my spark plugs changed (I know I could have done it myself) because I have never worked on my cars in the past before. While they were reseting the code in the system the mechanic found a code for the water pump. He said it usually just gives out, that many aren't lucky to know in advance. Well I asked him how much for the parts and labor and he gave me a quote of ~$1200. I said no way. After reading around here I see that many purchase the parts online and just have their indy shop do the labor. The thing is, this will be my first purchase and I am a bit scared. What if i accidentally order the wrong parts knowing my luck. I know he said its an electric pump, I found one on the Tischer site Thermostat/ Waterpump kit for $475. If it is the wrong part can I return it? Any one bought items off of this site? Anything else I need for this job for extra income? Anyone near Long Beach, Ca that has done this job in the past or knows someone that can do it? I also have a whole list of items that I need to do. I need to change out my front bushings and my drive tensioning idle?. This is the link for the site that is offering the pack. Please help, I am having second thought of purchasing this vehicle earlier this year. Almost thinking about selling it. Thanks!

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloc...o&PartID=1003816&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462
Send Jason or Evan an email at www.getbmwparts.com or use their contact us link. You put in the VIN of your car and they will guarantee you get the right parts, including mounting bolts.

· Registered
2,191 Posts
Yes, you can return the parts if wrong but most of the Electric Waterpumps and T Stats are the same fit. You need to check out the Youtube videos on how to do the job and decide if you want to or not. Wouldn't be so bad for somepone use to doing DIYs but for your first repair, could make you nervous but not un-do-able.

· Registered
591 Posts
getBMWparts.com | Genuine BMW E9x 3 Series Tstat/Waterpump Kits!!!

Genuine BMW E9x 3 Series Thermostat/Waterpump Kit. Kit includes Genuine BMW: thermostat, waterpump, and required screws/bolts. *Price includes Free Ground Shipping! (US only)

Find them in our BMW Accessories/Specials Catalog here!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.