BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the bimmer world as I just bought my first 00'323i, I have been reading all the talk about colloing issues and changing out the water pumps, mine has 64k, and i am thinking i need to change my water pump, so how hard is it and are there any pitfalls, I have changed water pumps in other cars before.:eeps:

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
I am new to the bimmer world as I just bought my first 00'323i, I have been reading all the talk about colloing issues and changing out the water pumps, mine has 64k, and i am thinking i need to change my water pump, so how hard is it and are there any pitfalls, I have changed water pumps in other cars before.:eeps:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you can get the service records for the car as the pump may have already been changed. If not I would do the pump and thermostat at a min. Its about a 2 hour job taking your time and once you have done it once its about 1 hour job. Fan and shroud need to come out and then you are there .

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have car fact sheet that shows all the services, I will have a look a little closer, would you go for the standard replacement, I see there is a performance water pump is it worth the $$$$

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have car fact sheet that shows all the services, I will have a look a little closer, would you go for the standard replacement, I see there is a performance water pump is it worth the $$$$
In my opinion the high performance pump is worth it if
1. You plan to keep the car very long term
2. You track or are always taking very long trips in it.
I have it on my car but I am planning on being buried in my car.:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
So is the general rule to replace the water pump at 60K miles? The dealer has not said anything to me about that (at least "yet"), but I have seen on many forums and enthusiast mags that 60K seems to be the magic number. Just checking as most of my other cars have required replacement around 90K - 100K miles, so 60K sounds a bit soon. But again, would always rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
So is the general rule to replace the water pump at 60K miles? The dealer has not said anything to me about that (at least "yet"), but I have seen on many forums and enthusiast mags that 60K seems to be the magic number. Just checking as most of my other cars have required replacement around 90K - 100K miles, so 60K sounds a bit soon. But again, would always rather be safe than sorry.
Exactly, Safe is the key word here. I would agree that 60K is the number give or take some. The problem is that these water pumps do not just start dripping like a old chevy. They either 1. Spit the shaft bearing which allows the spinning fan to come into contact with the fan shrowd which cause the fan to brake apart and damage the radiator.
2. The impeller brakes apart which means you are in "overheat" almost instantly.

Max

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like I definitely need to take care of this soon. One thing, since I live in the city, I am not exactly in the position to do DIY jobs. Any idea how much the water pump replacement repair would cost from the dealership?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone have DIY for replacing the water pump, I am going to order one today

·
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?
408 Posts
If you go performance water pump, be sure your radiator is in good condition. The increase flow may expose weaknesses in an aged radiator and cause a leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts