BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hydrocarbon Man
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to crosslink this to see if I could get some 'Festers opinions.

Oh noes

Just for clarification, the color is Jerez Black. I didn't think about the JB looking like Jet Black when I posted, I was just thinking 'aw f*ck.'

·
Paint polishing expert
702 Posts
If the water and distilled white vinegar mix did not work. You are going to have them polished out. If the dealer does it, there is a 99.999999999% chance that the car will have buffer trails when the dealer hacks are done with it.

Sometimes Josh http://www.ottmanndetailing.com/ comes down to Houston to detail some cars. Send him an email.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Where do you leave your car? When I lived in a downtown apartment building, I parked in the underground garage. There was a leak in the garage once and water seeped through the limestone on the level above and dripped on cars, resulting in spots that wouldn't just come off with washing. Just thinking about what it could have been...

·
Hydrocarbon Man
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do you leave your car? When I lived in a downtown apartment building, I parked in the underground garage. There was a leak in the garage once and water seeped through the limestone on the level above and dripped on cars, resulting in spots that wouldn't just come off with washing. Just thinking about what it could have been...
Since I have taken delivery, it has spent a total of 3 nights outside of the garage. It's garaged during the days it goes to work with me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last year my car spent some time in the apartment complex of a friend that I was visiting. One of the sprinklers was an outlaw and was sprinkling water all over the cars. Mine got her share also. Those were some nasty water stains :eek:. I tried washing but that obviously did not work. In a moment of desperation I tried CLR (one small segment at a time, applying, rubbing and cleaning it with clean cloth before moving to other segment), which turned out to be magic. Spots just vanished away. I later washed the car, polished it and rewaxed it.

Now, that was my 05 Accord. I am not sure if I will use CLR on my Beemer :tsk:, but throwing out this experience for what ever it is worth of. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Hard water spots that have baked into the finish can be a real bear to remove...my suggestions are to start with a few things.

Clay is a good start...the one that you want is purple clay...the OTC Mothers and Megs clay kits are not designed to remove heavy water spots or over spray...in most cases..The purple clay is aggressive on the surface and a good polishing after will be needed...

Next is a chemical paint polish / paint cleaner...these work good but require heat that is created by either a PC or a rotary...the later of the two is the best, but requires practice.

The last step and this is the one that I use on quite a few details that I do is Finish Kare the FK1 line.....extremely high end car product line...the decontamination line up is what I use...its acts a lot like clay as it removes everything from the paints surface but with chemicals....with water spots you want to dissolve them off...this is what that dose...its a 4 step process can take some time but WILL take off the water spots....

Links for you to read about

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

Purple clay
http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=124

·
Regdisturbed ® User
100 Posts
Are the spots all over, or just on one area? I've seen this before as a result of (1) little or no wax protection on the car and (2) it was parked within range of automatic sprinklers (good 'ol Houston water supply) and the spots were only on the front of the car. Check out where you park for work & see if that's the source. A lot of the garages around town are open on the sides and usually landscaped around the footprint, so the sprinklers sometimes reach inside.

I'm with dboy...the clay & polish combination should remove the spots.

·
Hydrocarbon Man
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news, I took it to a detailer this morning and he was able to get them all out. He says he didn't have to use anything abrasive, just a "few different compounds and the buffer....but it was a lot of work." So, I traded the spots for a couple of swirl marks onthe hood, but you have to look really hard for them. Those I can live with, water spots not at all. He finished off by putting a teflon sealant on.

As an fyi, this wasn't caused by a rogue sprinkler head, and I park on the 8th floor of our parking garage. I think it was just good ole fashioned Houston rain.

Could have been worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts