BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

My X5 is 2 months old and is garaged at home and in the office. The only time it's in the open is when it's running.

I have 50-100 1/4inch round hard water spots all over the hood (haven't checked the roof yet) and when I washed/zaino'd my car last week - I only noticed a few spots but the wax was unable to remove them. The car has been in rain 3-4 times.

How can I remove those water spots? Did I mess up by waxing on top of it.

Please help.

Thanks.

·
Shiftinggeerz
158 Posts
Check out detailedimage.com. I recently purchased my wash and detail supplies from them. Included in that purchase was a Spotless Water Filtration System for my house. They have a few different models. I love washing my car at home, and it has been nothing but stellar. Also, send them and email and they will definitely get back to you with specific products that will remove those spots. If you fear doing it yourself, take it to a really good detailer. The spots will come out with the right products.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Check out detailedimage.com. I recently purchased my wash and detail supplies from them. Included in that purchase was a Spotless Water Filtration System for my house. They have a few different models. I love washing my car at home, and it has been nothing but stellar. Also, send them and email and they will definitely get back to you with specific products that will remove those spots. If you fear doing it yourself, take it to a really good detailer. The spots will come out with the right products.
Whoa those systems are like $400 plus. I would like to get something similar but at that price I couldn't justify it. Maybe somebody makes something that will attach to the hose.

·
Shiftinggeerz
158 Posts
Yes, they are not cheap, however if you do enjoy washing your own car it will pay for itself in several months. It really works wonders and there are absolutely no water spots. Very soft water, however I do understand that it is expensive. You should see what type of products are good for your situation. They are really good at answering any and all of your question and they usually get back to you within 24 hrs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zaino Clay did NOT work.....the spots are still there. It a 2 month old car and I'm pissed off.

Now going to try vinegar + water...and see what happens.

Anyone else facing the same issue and was able to fix?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You will need to polish your car, wax won't remove anything. The spots are most likely from washing your X5 in the sun and letting the water dry before wiping it off.

Rain doesn't cause the problem as rainwater is very soft.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vinegar didn't work either.

What's the last resort to remove very tough water stains...looks like they're etched in the paint now. Can it be fixed at all?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have used Lime Away carefully. The acid in it is stronger than vinegar. Try it on a small spot first. By the way is your BMW black? water spots happen more on black because the sun heats it up.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I use 15 percent vinegar (household vinegar is 5%) for water spots on windows and it works great. I have also used CLP too. The 15 percent vinegar is not for consumption but is used for weed killer and other quasi industrial use, like taking hard water spots off -- it removes the calcium very well. I would be careful with it however, it is after all an acid.:yikes:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 helped a lot ..the spots have faded away, hardly visible but they're "still there". I'm ok with it. Need to check the roof tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys, you can by a water filtration thing that attaches to your garden hose. I am 95% we bought one at Walmart (blue & white) in the RV section. My husband found it, I was busy keeping an eye on the 3 kids...so I'm sorry I can't give you more info. But it was definitely found at Walmart, definitely light blue & white & definitely attached to the garden hose to help filter the water for hard water. We were on well water at the time, which was really hard, and we bought it specifically to use with washing our vehcles. It was cheap, I don't know how long it would have lasted because we moved shortly thereafter, BUT it really did make a difference. May not be a perfect solution, but just wanted to giive you the info. Sorry I can't be more specific! I really do think it was an RV/Camper attachment...

·
pay it forward
1,390 Posts
i would go with the route of washing with dawn (blue) to remove all wax/polish and then clay and then re-polish. If that does not work, a pro detailer should be able to polish that out for you. Get someone good, though.

·
'Fester
400 Posts
i would go with the route of washing with dawn (blue) to remove all wax/polish and then clay and then re-polish. If that does not work, a pro detailer should be able to polish that out for you. Get someone good, though.
+1!! why don't you post this in the detailing section???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts